Views
Comments
Starting point in developing business application

Sorry if this question is previously asked  and answered (i couldn't find the  related question unfortunately) ... 

Question:

When developing an enterprise application, as per my previous experience in implementing BPM applications,  we finalize E2E process and then move on to developing components (scren, rules, integrations etc..) against the each step in the flow 

Does the same is followed while we develop applications in Outsystems ? i.e  creating an process flow and then develop each component (UI, rules, integrations, routing logic etc) tied around the flow 

thanks in advance 

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Chayanath,

I think the answer is: Yes.

Regards,

Daniel

mvp_badge
MVP

That is a possibility nowadays, but not a requirement.

That could be a starting point but not the only one. I myself first gather all user requirements and create a data model to support these. After this is done I start with the front first. So I create the screen and create the logic to support the action of these screens. These actions are created with reusability in mind so that I can use them again should the need arise. Note that I don't create ERP-like applications. It are mostly small applications to support one business proces or project need. So your use-case could be different and when working with a larger team you could split up the work domains any way you like.

Greetings,

Vincent

thanks, Vincent.

Agree with u that its different for different cases.

Larger point is position of  workflow builder as a uniform adoption in the overall development process of the application (irrespective of size). If u look  at leading BPM suites any implementation (large scale or small) is around process ... was just curious to know this.

Ive recently attended a session on workflow builder where the presenter mentioned that as of now it is aimed for small use case purposes only.... 

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Chayantah,

This picture explains how to position Workflowbuilder:

The nice part is, with workflow builder you can start small, and when you reach the limitations of the WFB capabilities you can unlock the code to become editable in Service Studio. Of course you need skilled OutSystems developers, that also need to understand the Case Management Framework on which the generated OutSystems WFB application is generated.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Chayantah,

For complex applications we typically focus on Data and Data flow first including 3rd party integrations (inc. local data sync). After this we then move to developing the UI components without any validation or data persistence/ retrieval. Once the screen designs are finished and sign-off, we then focus on integrating the data into the screens, including rules and validations. Lastly, we then move to embedding any complex processes.

To caveat this, we typically have invested a lot of time designing the solution on paper prior to development. 

Sam