Views
Comments
Solved
No Add Event option when web block was right clicked
Question

I am now currently working on the Web Blocks Exercise.  I'm supposedly adding event right now but seen that when I right clicked the StarDisplay, there's no Add Event option.

What can I do to add event or another way to add it so that I can move forward in this exercise.

Thanks in advance

Solution

Hello Gem,

Hope you're doing well.

It seems that you are using an older version of the OutSystems Platform, in this case OutSystems 10.

In OutSystems 10 for Web Applications, there is no such thing as "Events" and "Handlers". These concepts are only present for Mobile Applications.

All of the data passed between a Parent Screen/Block and a Web Block is done using the Nofity and NotifyGetMessage server actions from System module. Notify is used in the Web Block to pass a message to the parent and NofifyGetMessage is used in the Parent Screen/Block to get that message.

You can check this documentation (OutSystems 10) about this topic. Please, be aware that the Nofity server action only allows to pass a single text value.

In OutSystems 11 for Web Applications, you have the same functionality introduced for Mobile Application in OutSystems 10, meaning Events and Handlers, which is indeed a great improvement because they have the possibility of passing typed parameters (and not only a single text value).

You can check this documentation (OutSystems 11) about this topic.

However, it is still possible in OutSystems 11 to find these Notify and NotifyGetMessage actions from System module, but they are marked as Deprecated:

It is strongly advised for you to not use these functions because Events are now available for Web Blocks and we should use them to propagate changes from a Web Block to the Parent Screen/Block.

That said, it seems that you're following an exercise for OutSystems 11 and working with OutSystems 10. I'd strongly suggest for you to upgrade to OutSystems 11 in order to continue the exercise. If you still want to go with OutSystems 10, you should be able to use Notify and NotifyGetMessage actions for that purpose, but please be aware that you need to convert all of the data that you want to pass in a single text.

Hope that this helps you!

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas

Hi Gem,

Which outsystems service studio version you are using currently.

Try to update it to Outsystems version 11 then continue with your application.

Regards,

Vipasha

Hi,

Not sure why this is not coming. If it is then in your StarClicked action drag a "TriggerEvent" widget from left menu. It will then ask you to create an event.

Thanks

Sourav

Solution

Hello Gem,

Hope you're doing well.

It seems that you are using an older version of the OutSystems Platform, in this case OutSystems 10.

In OutSystems 10 for Web Applications, there is no such thing as "Events" and "Handlers". These concepts are only present for Mobile Applications.

All of the data passed between a Parent Screen/Block and a Web Block is done using the Nofity and NotifyGetMessage server actions from System module. Notify is used in the Web Block to pass a message to the parent and NofifyGetMessage is used in the Parent Screen/Block to get that message.

You can check this documentation (OutSystems 10) about this topic. Please, be aware that the Nofity server action only allows to pass a single text value.

In OutSystems 11 for Web Applications, you have the same functionality introduced for Mobile Application in OutSystems 10, meaning Events and Handlers, which is indeed a great improvement because they have the possibility of passing typed parameters (and not only a single text value).

You can check this documentation (OutSystems 11) about this topic.

However, it is still possible in OutSystems 11 to find these Notify and NotifyGetMessage actions from System module, but they are marked as Deprecated:

It is strongly advised for you to not use these functions because Events are now available for Web Blocks and we should use them to propagate changes from a Web Block to the Parent Screen/Block.

That said, it seems that you're following an exercise for OutSystems 11 and working with OutSystems 10. I'd strongly suggest for you to upgrade to OutSystems 11 in order to continue the exercise. If you still want to go with OutSystems 10, you should be able to use Notify and NotifyGetMessage actions for that purpose, but please be aware that you need to convert all of the data that you want to pass in a single text.

Hope that this helps you!

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas