Views
Comments
Length calculation
Question

Hello community,

I noticed that when Using Outsystems 11, web, the Built-in Functions/Text/lenght() function does not appear to count characters the same as the WebPatterns/Utilities/CharacterCount widget.  Should these calculate the length differently?  

When comparing behavior, be sure to use the <enter> key.  This seems to cause a difference between the two.

Thanks!

Witch one counts the <enter>?

They both count <enter>.  If I remember correctly, Utilities/Character counts 2 for <enter> and length() counts 1.

They shouldn't be different but somehow I'm not surprised. 

<enter> is not really a character, is an information to the device to change line and is represented  by two characters (I' don't remember which ones). I seems length() interprets it as one character and Utilities/Character counts the actual space it uses in the field. 

Perhaps what we need is remark in the length() function explaining that. 

Thanks for your response.  We ended up removing the WebPatterns/Utilities/CharacterCount widget and writing our own that calculated using length(), so everything would match.

Good !Problem solved! 

But, if you are writing the text in a file field with a limited number of characters , you should verify if the string is not cut in the end when you reach the limit length.