Reactive application - but still create a mobile app on gplay and appstore ?

Hello,

Wondering if from a reactive application, we still / also have the ability to create and publish an application to google play and app store ?

Thanks,

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

No you can’t.

The OutSystems platform uses its Mobile Apps Build Service (MABS) to generate mobile application packages for iOS and Android which could then be distributed to the App Store or Google Play Store. This applies to Mobile Apps only.

Regards,

Nordin

Hi Nordin,

OK, good to know.

To make that a possibility (react app + mobile app if needed), I would say a few architectural decisions could enable the reuse of most the implementations done with React.

How do you see this approach, or do you foresee any other ways to make this possible ?

Thanks,

Pedro

Hi Pedro,

Perhaps PWAs are the way to go for you? (See also here and here.)

Hi Pedro,

It is indeed possible with a proper architecture to reuse many elements between the 2 application types.

Regards,

Daniel

I agree with Kilian, build the web on mobile application (tablet mode) then release it as PWA.

So you can access this via web browser on Computer, and you can release it as apk/ipa in the store.

@Toto,

Well it depends, if the mobile application needs device specific functionallity that can only be achieved with mobile plugins, then PWA is not an option. But still you can share a lot of code with a proper architecture between RW and mobile.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

@Toto,

Well it depends, if the mobile application needs device specific functionallity that can only be achieved with mobile plugins, then PWA is not an option. But still you can share a lot of code with a proper architecture between RW and mobile.

Regards,

Daniel

Yes, using PWA we must carefully use device specific function that already supported on PWA.

I got recommendation using this to check the functionality of PWA.

Thanks 

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Well it depends, if the mobile application needs device specific functionallity that can only be achieved with mobile plugins, then PWA is not an option. 

The OP specifically asked to turn a Reactive App into a mobile one. So I assumed he doesn't have device-specific stuff, or they wouldn't want to start with Reactive.

Hi Pedro,

Just adding that you can copy screens, blocks and themes from a reactive to a mobile app. Regarding data, your best option is probably to reference the existing entities, if you copy/paste them you'll just be copying the model and not the data. Also be aware that currently mobile apps also do not support setting screens as public.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões