PopupEditor OnNotify doesn't work in Production

PopupEditor OnNotify doesn't work in Production

  

Hi,

I'm having a weird problem that I will describe bellow:

I have a web screen that has a button. This button has a onclick javascript action that triggers a hidden link. This hidden link navigates to a PopupEditor window where the user has to write a comment to their action. The popup window has a save button, that calls the Popup_Editor_Notify action, with the comment as an argument. In the main screen, the PopupEditor widget calls a local action on the "On Notify" section, to do the work related to the original button, and save the comment the used introduced in the popup window.

All this process is working without a problem in development and quality environments.
In production, all works fine through the popup window. After the user writes their comment and clicks the save button, the popup window is closed (as desired), but the OnNotify trigger is never fired! The screen does not refresh, and the action that was supposed to be called never runs.

I have tried to debug the eSpace in production, to see exactly what's happening, but outsystems doesn't allow debug in production enviromnents, so I'm pretty much at a halt on this matter.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to solve this problem?

I'm using Service Studio 4.2.4.75 and Plataform Server 4.2.4.54

Thank you in advance,
Ana Sofia Santana


Hi Ana,

Indeed you have a tricky problem in your hands.

Some of the first questions to try and debug the issues would be:

- Are the Platform Server versions the same within the 3 environments?
- Is the browser you're using the same?
- Do you get any sort of javascript errors in the production environment, in that screen?
- Do you have any error logged in Service Center, when you execute those actions?

Alternativelly, you could try do use the Audit node and log information in runtime regarding the execution - it's a very low level approach, similar to debugging using "Printf()" in old C code - but it could provide insights as to why the problem is happening. All the Audits are stored in the General Log section in Service Center.

Finally, even though it is not recommended - because of the definition of "production" environment - you could, in a worst case scenario, change the server mode to development, for the time being, and publish the eSpace in development mode and debug it.

Let us know if this helps, or if not, how can we try to debug the issue further.

Good luck!

Paulo Tavares
Hi Ana,

try to use the dev tools of the browser to debug the javascript problem that you are having.

Check out this post from Tiago to see each tool to use depending the browser wanted http://www.outsystems.com/NetworkForums/ViewTopic.aspx?Topic=How-to-debug-JavaScript-and-CSS-in-different-browsers

Cheers,
Ricardo
Hello Paulo,

Regarding your questions:

- Are the Platform Server versions the same within the 3 environments?
No. The versions are the following:
  • Development - Platform Server 4.2.4.45
  • Quality - Platform Server 4.2.4.49
  • Production - Platform Server 4.2.4.54
- Is the browser you're using the same?
Yes

- Do you get any sort of javascript errors in the production environment, in that screen?
No

- Do you have any error logged in Service Center, when you execute those actions?

No

I did try the low level Auditing approach you suggested, and it confirmed my suspicions: after the popup window closes, the action called in the "On Notify" event is never run. No errors of javascript on the page, I've even tried in different computers and it doesn't work in any.
I can't do much debug on the client side, because it's an workflow action that is called only by users with permissions to do it, and in production environment I don't have those permissions, always have to count on the good will of the end users to do the debug for me, and we all know how that goes sometimes...

I am really stuck on this one.

Any more suggestions for me to try?

Thank you...
Ana Santana
Hi Ana,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry that what we suggested didn't help much in terms of troubleshooting.

This does seem like a technical problem, so I've forwarded this request to our technical support. Since they may not have your contact, I would suggest sending them an e-mail to support@outsystems.com explaining the situation.

Let us know when you find out what's wrong, since I'm sure it'll be useful to others in the future!

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
Paulo,

I will email the problem to the Outsystems Support and let everyone know when it's solved.

Thank you for the help!

Ana Sofia Santana
Good Afternoon,

After many emails and phone calls exchanged with the Outsystems support team, we managed to narrow the circumstances of the error.
I never tested my messages in the popup window with newlines (didn't even cross my mind!), and the users in production environment used newlines in their text, and that was what was causing the problem.

After an upgrade to EnterpriseManager solution 4.2.19, which includes the last update of the RichWidgets extensions, and everything re-published, it all works fine.

So now you know. :-)

Regards,
Ana Sofia Santana
Hi Ana,

Thanks for the message, and for reporting the solution.

I'm glad it all turned out fine, and I'm sure this will come in handy for others!

Regards, and keep up the good work :)

Paulo Tavares