Reactive Web and Mobile runtime on React 16 - Technical Preview

Hi,

We have released in Technical Preview, with the Platform Server 11.10.0, the ability to use the latest version of React 16 as the UI rendering library in OutSystems Mobile and Reactive Web apps.

Since its debut on OutSystems 10, Mobile apps (and later, Reactive Web apps) have always relied on React 15 for UI rendering. Since then, React has been maturing and consolidating its behavior and practices, rising to be the de-facto standard library when it comes to application user interfaces. Keeping the OutSystems Platform using the same React version from the start allowed us to provide stability in the UI behavior of your apps as the library kept evolving and improving along these years, but it came with a price. Keeping an old version of React means we cannot take advantage of their new features and improvements, hindering our ability to make your apps better.

The time has come to move forward, and we are giving you control over how fast you want to go during this period. We have adapted the OutSystems Platform to work with the latest version of React 16, but there are some behaviors that we cannot simply workaround. By providing React 16 as a Technical Preview Feature, we are giving you control over how this change might impact you. Should you find any issue with this new version, you can disable the feature and revert it to use React 15, while you make the necessary adjustments. You can find all the details here.

To make this possible, we’ve re-architectured our compiler to be able to work with multiple React versions, making it also easier to do further upgrades in the future. We’ll only make available mature React versions, which means that you’ll not be using the latest one, but a version close to it.

After this Technical Preview stage, React 16 will become the default version from Platform Server Q2 April 2021 Feature Patch release onwards.

If you are unable to upgrade or enable this feature in your environment, you can try out React 16 on a free Personal Environment. You can enable the React 16 Tech Preview by following the steps here. After enabling the feature you will need to republish your application to take advantage of the new version. 

Meanwhile, React 17 just came out. Why aren’t we upgrading to it instead?

As previously mentioned, we want to make sure we are delivering a version with a good maturity level, so we are giving some time to allow potential problems to surface. For now, we’ll be keeping up with React 16 releases. However, we’re planning to do the upgrade very shortly since React 17 is, as its team gracefully put, a “stepping stone” release with no new features, and moving to it shouldn’t cause any major impact.

Thank you, and stay safe! 

Champion

Thanks Ricardo for this upgradation.

Thanks for this update Ricardo!

Adding to what Ricardo has said, as this will be default in the future, a smart thing to do today is to turn this on (in development servers at least) to try it out and make sure you won't have any issues in the future.

Just go to LifeTime > Infrastructure > Technical Preview (on-prem) or LifeTime > Environments > Options > Technical Preview (cloud) and toggle it on:

Glad to know this..

Hi, it is possible in some Personal Environments you aren't able to see this feature, if that is the case it is because it is already enabled by default. This is only happening in PS 11.10.0 or higher.

mvp_badge
MVP

Can we add some more description in below items what actually this option is going to do?

sssssss.png

Hi,

My PE version is 11.10.0 (Build 22910) and I don't have any update available:

My Lifetime Version is 11.7.2 (Build 834) but I don't have the React 16 feature available:

Anyone has the same issue, or am I an edge case?

Cheers,

Luís

Hi Luis,

In your particular case, you already have the React 16 Tech Preview enable by default, that may be the case for some Personal Environment on version 11.10.0 or higher.

Hi Ricardo,

Just to let you know, yesterday I received the latest upgrade of my personal and I can see the React 16 toggle.

Cheers,

Luís

Thanks for this upgradation . It's help future development. 

Champion

Thanks for this upgradation

Hi,

I don't see the option on Techical Preview page:

Hi Gonçalo, some environments (e.g. Personal Environments) are already further ahead and have this React 16 Tech Preview feature already turned on by default.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

mvp_badge
MVP

Great to know that OutSystems continues to bring to us what is most new and modern in current technologies, in addition to taking care of the impact of these changes. Thanks a lot team!

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.