Views
Comments
shorten the learning curve

Hi guys! I'm a newbie here and I'm excited about so many possibilities. Can you help me by telling me where to start to reduce the learning curve? Thanks!

Hello ffizzon,

First of all, welcome to OutSystems and to the Community! :)

Well, you have a long way ahead of you. To be honest, we all do - OutSystems is a world. But it is also an amazing platform, I'm 100% sure that you will love it the way we do! And everyone needs to start from scratch, right? :))

So, I would say for you to start from the very beginning. There are 3 types of applications that you can build using OutSystems: Traditional Web, Reactive Web and Mobile applications.

Traditional Web apps are the older ones, everything is done server-side and they are basically why OutSystems are mostly known. To be honest, that's where I (and certainly most of the people) started. Mobile and Reactive Web apps are quite new and they are the future. Mobile was introduced in OS 10, while Reactive Web started in OS 11. In both of them, you have the client-side vs server-side paradigm that can be a little bit hard to understand at the beginning, but give it time and you'll get there.

In the OutSystems website, there are several courses that you may attend. You can check them in here: https://www.outsystems.com/learn/courses/

I'd say for you to start with the Traditional Web Developer Guided Path, then Reactive Web Developer Guided Path and finally Mobile Developer Guided Path. You can check them in here: https://www.outsystems.com/learn/paths/

There are other languages that integrate with OutSystems such as SQL and JavaScript, which are mostly common within OutSystems applications. For example, SQL is hardly used in Traditional Web while JavaScript is very common in Reactive Web and Mobile. So I would say for you to take a look at both as well, if you have no experience with them.

Overall, it will take you some time, but eventually you'll get there. A good way to start is definitely attending the online training courses.

I hope that I helped you a bit in your journey.

And if you need anything, any doubts, any questions (technical or not), feel free to ask us. There are plenny of people here in the forums ready to help you.

Good luck and happy coding!

Kind regards,

Rui Barradas