Views
Comments
Unlimited web block
Application Type
Traditional Web
Platform Version
11.9.1 (Build 20359)

The page is long and consists of 7 sections. 

The team of 5 dev decided to use web blocks so that each of them can work in the same page without affecting one another. 

What are the cons of using unlimited web blocks in traditional web app? 

What is the alternative approach to have multiple developers working on a single page without using the web block? 

I searched across the forum and found this question, https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/46215/how-to-properly-use-web-blocks/ but does not address my needs. 

Champion

Hi Wei,

First of all, I would say having the approach of web blocks itself is a good one. As it provides maintainability, reusability and ability to collaborate with the team easily. It also aligns "in a way" with modular (although I don't want to use the word modular) architectures concept that enables to isolate the areas where developers have to work to make a specific change.

To answer the 2nd part, I'll speak on a broader level (since the web block approach is already a nice one), not at the screen but the application level. There are a few recommendations which OutSystems publishes as team collaboration. Also, my fav Developer sandboxes, which allows every developer to develop and deploy the changes in his/her private area. Once the developer is "done" with the user story/task, then go for compare and merge.

Regards,

Swatantra

Hi Wei,

Since you talk about a single screen and different web blocks, That's a good approach already still if you want to do bit better if your web block content is huge. I would recommend you to go with tabs.

So Every tab will have a screen and all screens follow the same layout. Every time you click on some tab re direct to that particular screen.

You can use static entity maintain tabs (Enable ,disable, urls).

Regards,

Rama

Hi Ramakrushnarao

I don't quite follow you. 

Isn't tabs a widget inside of a screen? How do you have a screen inside of a tab?