Views
Comments
Technical Preview: Multi-Language Not Considering "Parent" Language Key
Application Type
Mobile, Reactive

Dear All,

In traditional web we are using the parental keys of languages; e.g. "de"; instead of the key "de-DE". This is working fine in traditional. But with the technical preview and the same setup in Mobile, I'm facing the problem that the key is not considered. Since I cannot simple change the ID of the language key for all apps already in place, I currently have to work with a mapping work around. The local installed in mobile is: "de".

Or will it consider "de-DE" in mobile when the locale key is "de"?

Thanks and regards,

Philipp

Staff

Hi Philipp,

Both in traditional and reactive/mobile, what should happen is the other way around: if a more specific translation is not found the translation of a parent locale is given (e.g. if locale is set to "de-DE" and there is no translation there, then the translation for "de" is returned). If this is not working correctly please contact OutSystems support.

BTW, if you want to move translations to a different locale you can always do that by exporting translations to an excel file, do the bulk changes on excel and then importing them again.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

Staff

Hi Philipp,

I forgot to ask at the end, were you able to overcome the issues you were having? Do you need further help?

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

Hi Tiago,

We are working with a work around for the moment. I think the issue is that our local key is e.g. defined as "de" and not "de-DE" for German. This is working in Traditional, but apparently not in Reactive/Mobile so far. So if I now say in mobile, the locale key is "de-DE" it picks the translations of "de". But in order to do that I had to add an attribute to the lable with the respective key.

Long story short - working only with the parent key as identifier seems to work in Traditional but not in Mobile/Reative.

Cheers, 

Philipp