Views
Comments
Solved
Environments for training with Personal license
Application Type
Traditional Web, Mobile, Reactive, Service

I am going through the Associate Tech Lead videos.  It's becoming obvious to me that it will be necessary for me to do some hands on working with environments, infrastructure and all kinds of setup, configuration and use.  Unfortunately I am limited to what's available in the personal environment which seems to exclude any access to more than one environment.  Does anyone know of any way to get the hands on experience without paying out for one of the other tiers?  Thanks.

Solution

Hi Daniel, I agree with you related with the Tech Lead/Professional/Expert certification, isnt worth to do with you dont have a hands on experience.

But sometimes even working for a Partner, Company or customer isnt enough, you get stopped on matters of time from someone more experiment to supervise what you're doing, permissions to access just for senior members and also bad policies to train who want to advance in the career, etc

Ivan and Tom or anyone that think is necessary a little more to help to advance on hands on experience, please, support my idea for a personal environment with more capability for OS developer that has already a little more experience.

https://www.outsystems.com/ideas/7344/personal-pro-environment 

Cheers,

Carlos Lessa

Good question. Feeling the same need here.

Cheers! 

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately the only possible option would be if you work for an OutSystems partner, and practice in the partner OutSystems infrastructure, or you work for a company or customer that has an OutSystems infrastructure.

That said, why do the Tech Lead certification, if your are not developing in a team, for a customer or company?
Like the professional and expert developer certification this exam expects some hands on experience in a real professional setting.

Regards,

Daniel

In my particular case, I have been a developer on Apple platforms since the early 90's.  The company I work for now is a solution provider with many areas of expertise.  They would like to add Outsystems to their resume.  So it would be our clients who would become the Outsystems partners and set up their own infrastructures and environments.  I just happen to be the person who was selected to get the certifications.  Seems like we may have to re-evaluate our strategy.  Thanks for the feed back.

mvp_badge
MVP

I think you are overcomplicating things. There is a logical order in the certification program. Associate, Professional and Expert developer. 

To call the tech lead exam associate tech lead is confusion, maybe misleading, as it expects you to have some work experience with OutSystems, like with the professional and expert certification.o

You can do certifications to become an associate OutSystems  Developer first, then Professional. Then the tech lead. No need to do all of them before start working with OutSystems. I would consider the tech lead certification less relevant in your situation.

Furthermore I am curious what particular parts of the certification learning material you are referring to that requires you to have hands-on experience with multiple environments. 

You can of course still learn the theory and put it in practice once you are working as an OutSystems developer in a professional setting. 

Your company can also sent you on a bootcamp if you feel that the selflearning is not sufficient for you to learn what you need for your job. I personally found the self learning at outsystems.com/learn more than sufficient to pass gain my certifications.

My first answer to you reply still stands.

Solution

Hi Daniel, I agree with you related with the Tech Lead/Professional/Expert certification, isnt worth to do with you dont have a hands on experience.

But sometimes even working for a Partner, Company or customer isnt enough, you get stopped on matters of time from someone more experiment to supervise what you're doing, permissions to access just for senior members and also bad policies to train who want to advance in the career, etc

Ivan and Tom or anyone that think is necessary a little more to help to advance on hands on experience, please, support my idea for a personal environment with more capability for OS developer that has already a little more experience.

https://www.outsystems.com/ideas/7344/personal-pro-environment 

Cheers,

Carlos Lessa