Views
Comments
Solved
[Discovery] Discovery is failing to detect cyclic references between two applications
Forge component by Francisco Menezes
Published on 23 Aug 2020
Application Type
Traditional Web

The Discovery applications is failing to recognize cyclic dependences between applications even though it detects this dependences between modules inside this same applications.

Along with the Discovery prints follow the Architecture Dashboard prints reporting both situations.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Telmo Oliveira

DiscoveryCyclicDependences.pdf

Staff
Solution

Hello,

After a quick inspection of this situation, I was able to reproduce the misbehavior reported, and I would like to inform you that we are already working on some improvements and bug fixes to be released in a new Discovery version, as soon as possible.

Keep in touch!

Best Regards,

ROM

Hi Temlo,

It seems you have not followed the Outsystems recommended   4LC Architecture , where each layer is independent and no cyclic refresh between them.

You need to see which is the producer module and which is the consumer modules and what will come under business logic and UI layer , where to sit NFR, StyleGuilde etc?

Please follow below link to get more idea about robust Application Architecture.

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Maintenance_and_Operations/Designing_the_Architecture_of_Your_OutSystems_Applications/The_Architecture_Canvas

Regards,

Dileep

@Dileep Verma, I think you've missed the point. We know that cyclic dependencies are a bad thing and should be avoided. The point is, where a developer has made a mistake and incorrectly created a cyclic dependency, this should be highlighted by Discovery at an application level as an issue that needs to be resolved.

Staff

Hi,

First, thank you @Telmo Oliveira to bring this to our attention, we will analyze your question.

@Dileep Verma and @Ross Jennings I think you are both correct. I mean, if everyone follows the Architecture Canvas principles, we weren't here discussing this topic. However, we are all humans, constantly learning and improving our work.

If I do understand and please correct me, the question is that related to Module Canvas view vs. Application canvas view warnings consistency - if a warning is registered as a cycle dependency between modules from different applications, and if both applications are at the same Architecture layer, I would say that the same cyclic dependency warning should also appear at Application Canvas view.

Let me analyze the 'Ifs' ;)

Cheers,

ROM

Staff
Solution

Hello,

After a quick inspection of this situation, I was able to reproduce the misbehavior reported, and I would like to inform you that we are already working on some improvements and bug fixes to be released in a new Discovery version, as soon as possible.

Keep in touch!

Best Regards,

ROM

Hello everyone,

Firstly, let me thank you all for your answers!

Ricardo, I’m glad to know that the application continues to be improved, since it is one of the best tools to perform code validation! :) 

Thank you all,

Best regards,

Telmo Oliveira