Views
Comments
Improving Speed of updating List, Reactive App
Question
Application Type
Reactive
Platform Version

Hi,

I've been producing a Connect 4 App in Outsystems, that is based on the logic I used in C# as I can't do screen work in C# yet.

It all works, however, it's a bit slow. (A couple of seconds to make a move). Each class, is a separate module and all the logic, to create the grid, save the grid, check if there is a horizontal, vertical or diagonal match is all performed as client actions as I read that was quicker. Weirdly, I've also read "heavy" logic should be on the Server but you should limit interactions with the server. I am also using Client Variables to store the grid, no of columns, rows, the current player etc.

Do I need to transfer some of the logic into Server side logic, instead of client side logic? If so, if it uses client variables, should I use site properties instead?

Is there a rule saying when an action should be client side, and when one should be server side? 

Is having all the different logic in different modules a good idea, ie a module per class.

I have attached a screenshot that shows "my most complex" client side action.

Edward

ComplexLogic.PNG

Can you give us more information about the size of the grid you are using? Also what is inside the GetClientVariables Client action and the CalculateNew_Dir.... action?

I am using a 6x7 grid, created by having a list, within a list, created with a structure.

GetClientVariables returns the Client Variables held within other modules

CalculateNewDirection is an action containing a switch statement, which finds how to travel to the next diagonal co-ordinate, dependent on which diagonal direction I am checking the grid (Up to the right, up to the left, down to the right, down to the left. So if Up and right, I move one up, and one right, in the grid.