Behaviour of query record lists with regards to retention of their data

Behaviour of query record lists with regards to retention of their data

I would expect the data in a record list that is filled in the Preparation of a screen to be retained between screen actions of that screen. However, what I find is that the record lists get cleared somewhere between the end of the Preparation and the start of the first screen action. Is this normal behaviour? If not, what may cause this?

Hi Kilian, and thanks for the question.

Indeed, I don't think that's the expected behavior, I would expect the record list to keep the data, so there must be something that's missing.

Why do you say that the record list is emptied? Is it in debug mode only, or does the record list in the screen become empty? In debug, sometimes there were some cache problems, and the record list didn't show up as filled in the Watch list, but that doesn't necessarily imply that it is empty. Is this what you are experiencing?

If not, have you tried debugging your eSpace? Does it show up empty if you place a breakpoint in the Start node of the screen action? Are you inspecting the right variable?

...Could it be that the method you're using to call the actions is not a submit, but a navigate, and as such it might be disregarding all data from the screen?

Let us know.

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
Hi Paulo,

It seems indeed to be a debugger refresh problem: when I show the content of the record list e.g. with a Feedback_Message, the values appear correctly, and funnily enough the values I reference are also shown correctly in the debugger as well (but not the ones that are not referenced). This goes for both watches and the locals tabs. However, this behaviour is quite persistent, so it seems there are, not were, some problems with caching (or whatever the cause is). For your reference, I use Service Studio 5.0.2.29. This issue severely hinders my debugging sessions, but at least I know the data is correct.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction,

Best regards,

Kilian
Hi Kilian,

Thank you very much for reporting back. I'm glad to hear that you solved your problem - even though I regret knowing that you experienced that behavior.

I forwarded this issue to our technical support, but if you have the chance of submitting your eSpace to them using Service Studio, and explaining how they can replicate the problem, it will be great for our engineering team to try to address it.

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
Hi Paulo,

Thanks for forwarding the issue. I'll see whether I can create a simple eSpace that exhibits this problem and send it to support, as the current eSpace would be of no use due to having dozens of external references to other eSpaces.

Best regards,

Kilian
Ok, I created a very simple eSpace that exhibits the behaviour, see attached file. In the preperations, both query's are filled and show data. When pressing the "DoStuff" button, the DoStuff screen action is started, and the debugger does not show any content in the query's, except for some (but not all) fields in the query referenced by the Feedback_Message widget. Remove the reference and everything shows up empty.

EDIT: Feedback sent via Service Studio.
Thanks a lot for the effort Kilian.

Best regards, and let us know if some other questions come up!

Paulo Tavares