Version Uninstall

Version Uninstall

How can I Uninstall Version ?

I got a message to ask if I would like to install Version and in my “innocence” installed it.

As expected I like the looks of it it, BUT:

1- The limit of Software units had decreased to 30 000
2-I am working on a application to show to potential clients using the “free” version of Outsystems and it limited my ability to develop it.
I uninstalled it and tried to install previous version.
Although uninstalled through control panel when I try to install previous version I get the message that a newer version is installed and I should remove it.
How can the version be completely removed?
By the way, Outsystems removed from the website (at least for today) the version, pricing and licensing information. Although I love this platform I think whether its better to consider other alternative Agile Platforms. The “free” version has traps…
To able to install the previous version check this post:

Best Regards,
Gustavo Guerra
Hi Orlando,

You don't have to uninstall to recover the 75k SUs you were used to.

Just upload the old license (you can find it attached) in Service Center.

Now, let me explain a bit of what changed with "the new community edition" and why:

The "old community edition" was limited to 5 concurrent users and we were getting tons of feedback that was just not enough for production use. Even for small applications, which is what people using our free edition usually build, this was often not enough. We were getting the feedback that it was just not worth it to dedicate yourself to building even a small application because your license would quickly stop being free because of the user limits.

Because of all this we decided to completely change our approach to the free version by allowing with the "new community edition" for an unlimited numbers of users and providing a number of features you really need for a production environment (Integrated Authentication; Active Directory Integration; Server Side Caching; Unlimited Service Center logins; Performance Tracking and Troubleshooting).

The other side of this is that we simultaneously decreased the number of Software Units to 30k since we've analyzed a large number of cases and the 30k SUs are typically more than enough for the average application.

So, you see, while using the new license does decrease your number of SUs, it also makes it more useful in a much larger number of cases. With these two options, it's the choice of each user of the community edition to either stick to the old license or move to the new one.

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
Pedro Oliveira
Thanks for your explanation.
The new version "Showed up" but no explanation of new or changed features.
I do agree with you that a large number of small projects can be carried out withing the 30K limit and the extra free features may be useful in aproduction environement.

However the program I am working will exced this limit so I will switch to the old lic.

Thanks once more.
@Pedro - Does the license file work with the latest version of outsystems platform?

Yes, it does.
I saved the other one (30000) and may switch between the two.
One advantadge of using the 75 000 SU is the ability to test (and learn from) examples posted on the network without enabling/disabling e-spaces all the time. By the way, some examples are over the 30 000 Limit !
Agile Platform Editions (EMEA) document should be updated to reflect these changes.

On the topic of concurrent users, is there a good explanation anywhere of the technical details behind that? For example, does that mean "people logged in simultaneously", "users logged into Service Center", or "simultaneously being handled by the server?" I'm going to upgrade to 5.1.1 in the next day or two, and I need to figure out my game plan, since my app is currently around 34k SUs, but it's about to slim down a lot thanks to a planned feature change which will simplify things a lot.

Hi Justin,

You can find the details in the attached file.

Enjoy your christmas,
Thanks Pedro!

Wow! Awesome, awesome document! Is there a way to make this more prominent? I believe that this document alleviates many, if not most of the licensing concerns people have around the product. If this information was more obvious on the pricing/editions page, I think a lot of people (particularly in the US) would be more comfortable with the licensing.

> If this information was more obvious on the pricing/editions page, I think a lot of people (particularly in the US) would be more comfortable with the licensing.

Now that's an endorsement.   :)    Off to go read that document.
Hello, Pedro Oliveira! Remember  SAP project in Lithuania?
Alas as much as I like AgilePlatform this decision is really not very practical it seems. I just tried to install the Community version of Agile Reporting on the 30k SU license and ... yes it won't even fit (all other espaces that I had and that use SU's are disabled according to the SU license counter detail page in service center).

The Report Widgets alone cost 8420 su's, add 419 for ARSBootstrap and the Report Center refuses to publish.

Am I missing something here? Are these espaces even supposed to use up SU's? Given that they are outsystems products too, some other extensions (for lack of a better word) seem to have no SU cost associated with them, could this not be done for the agile reporting espaces too?

Edit: I just uploaded the old license file which sadly enough disables many of the features again (and I wanted those enabled because I am using the community edition as a Proof of Concept platform in my attempts to convince our company to get the Enterprise edition for which it would help if I could show all those great features).

The reportcenter espace uses up 30429 SU's all by itself.

On a more general level I have been developing some apps in AgilePlatform and even without the Reporting issue, the SU count seems to go up quite fast. A relatively simple application quickly adds up to 20k. Note I am talking here about apps where you basically do little more than drag entities to webpages and other wizard/macro stuff.
Hi Hans,

Thanks for your feedback. We understand that the limits for the Community Edition might seem tight, but in all honesty we tried to find a good balance between enough size for a person or company to develop an application that is useful for his day-to-day operations, and not limiting the number of concurrent users, since we are developing web applications and some of them you just don't have control of how many people are going to use it.

I made sure this feedback was passed along to our Product Management team, for them to take it into consideration for future refinements of the model.

However, one thing would strike me as fair: if part of the licensing model for the Agile Platform is based on an application size limit, it makes sense to me that anything you decide to install in it that is not mandatory for the Agile Platform to work would take up some space.

As such, all the core applications for the Agile Platform to run - Service Center and Enterprise Manager - do not take up space. The same applies to extensions. Extensions alone do not take up space - what takes up space is the usage of an extension in an application.

You can read a bit more about our licensing limits in the link Pedro posted previously.

Regarding the Agile Reporting Services component, though, it is not a component provided by OutSystems, but by Epopeia, one of our excellent partners. I will also inform them of this particular issue, but if you want to try out the Agile Reporting Services for the time being, we can arrange for you to have a time-limited trial license for one of the larger editions of the Agile Platform. Either that, or use the 75k license you already have downloaded.

I hope this makes it more clear.

Do let me know how you wish to proceed.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares
My #1 concern with the new licensing, is that the 30,000 SU limit was based on historical data, but in my experience, IntelliWarp uses a LOT more SU without heavy modification on a per-screen basis that non-IntelliWarp screens. It isn't that IntelliWarp mysteriously uses them and hides the use, IntelliWarp just does things much more rigorously than many applications need. In a typical "portal" or "SaaS" scenario, you only need two or three permissions for the most part... registered, account administrator, global administrator. But IW creates a create and edit role for each entity. Most applications just need a few global exception handlers at the top level, but IW puts them on every screen. It's little things like that which add up. The people I've been working with are hitting 30,000 SUs with a handful of screens to do very basic applications.

I am not sure if the solution is to increase the SU limit in the various packages (including Community Edition), sell SUs as add on packages (like Microsoft sells CALs), or make IW a little more conservative with what it puts on the screen.

Another similar issue I'm facing with SUs, is that my development machine is packed. I have 2 customers right now, each of their apps is around 30k SUs (again, IntelliWarp made them bigger than hand writing), plus internal apps I'm developing, I really can't do anything on the machine any more without disabling eSpaces. I'd like to see an SU-unlimited package for a consultant/developer like me, that does not work in a public-facing server scenario. That would go a long way towards making life easy for me.

I think the summary is that the licensing is geared for enterprises, where at the high end you are paying for a lot of features I don't need (load balancing, integrated authentication, etc.) when all I need from the high end package is SU's and concurrent users. If I could build a package a la carte, that would be IDEAL, even if I pay more per feature (in other words, if you were to build an existing package a la carte, it would be more expensive than the current packages).

Hi Justin,

Thank you very much for your detailed and thorough feedback as well - that's a very good insight on how our current pricing affects developers, and one that we are very interested in.

We have been looking into special licenses for the exact development purpose you describe. While there aren't any specific decisions yet, I hope to have news about how to make it easier to develop several projects.

Paulo Tavares
Paulo -

Glad to help! Also good to know that the development licensing is already being discussed. You guys seem to be one step ahead of my thoughts on this stuff!

I will say this: of all the problems I could be having, "not enough software units to handle my customers" is a REALLY good problem to have. It means I have a lot of customer projects happening. :)

It is definitely a good problem to have :)

I'll keep you updated regarding this topic, of course!

Paulo Tavares

Personally I believe outsystems goal should be about making it very easy for vendor’s/developers to completely develop an application(s) and evaluating the benefits of outsystems platform, and then when these benefits can be seen, start converting all free non-paying customers into paying customers.
A vendor should be able to develop the complete application and launch it into production without any restriction, but once X number of users has been registered, a warning will be made to notify the company that a software license is required to be purchased.
The company is given a grace period of 120 days grace period, to upgrade the license before the site/platform becomes deactivated, similar to how Microsoft windows server OS licensing works, you can use all the features of windows but later you need to purchase and pay for the license.
This will allow a vendor to completely develop an application and evaluate the software with real users (the intended audience/staff), and demonstrate to their investors or managers etc and then get their company to pay for the required outsystems license but only once the benefit of the software to their business can be seen by the investors/managers/clients etc
Having a roadblock with 30k software units, as "justin" has indicated you can only develop a very basic application with 30k software units, and this already stops your potential customer before giving them a chance to see the real benefits of their application built on outsystems platform for their company.
Most non paying customers will start to pay, but usually this is when they can see the benefits first therefore development should be free of charge without restriction and production should be charged but only after X users has been registered and the grace period has expired.

You can think of it this way, when you do not charge a vendor for development it will give developers the freedom to create, it will allow them to develop an application to its full potential for its intended audience, and this is going to use up OS features that they might not even know they needed to begin with and use up software units that they might have not use aswell. But once the vendor develop the software to its full potential and see how productive their application really is to the business, most likely the company will not start to remove appication's features and will not stop using the OS features that they are currently using, they already spent all that time developing the feature, and this has cost them money, and if it's helping their business become more productive, most likely the customer will pay, this is the hook that benefits both the vendor and outsystems at the same time. 

Again, this is very similar to Microsoft business model, you can develop an application in .NET for free, but then you have to pay for the server license when you run the application in production. But this is a very good business model, it does not restrict the developer in any way, Please investigate this and do note that it is always best not to stop the developers from letting them do what they do. Developers develop application for their client and build products that usually help a company become more productive/efficient in order to generate revenue.
Consider how microsoft .NET visual studio, Windows Server, SQL Server are glued together, they go after developers, give them tools to build applications and they make their big bucks by charging the companies that use Microsoft server products to run and benefit from the applications built; and all these applications are developed by the developers! (Either internal or outsourced to a custom software company). Custom software vendors/developers are the ones that will introduce outsystems with new clients, and retain existing customers, maybe get alot of feedback from developers/ISV etc  see what they think?

Hi Robert,

I appreciate your detailed feedback, and I'll submit it to our product management as well. One small correction though, regarding the 30k limit: as Pedro posted before, you can have the older development license with 75k SU limit, if that suits you best.

That being said, I will recommend that all ideas and suggestions anyone has regarding SUs and their limits to be posted through the "Ask OutSystems" link above, addressed to our product management.

It is easier for everyone to keep up with all requests and suggestions in a centralized space, and it will be easier for them to address each and every request directly with each one of you, for each one of your cases, if that's the case.

Also, this "Version Uninstall" thread has clearly went off-topic a while ago :)

I have forwarded all your feedback so far to our Product Management, though.

Regards, and thanks for both your feedback and understanding.

Paulo Tavares

Paulo, thanks.

Hello Hans,

I'm honored you actually downgraded on such an amazing platform because of Agile Reporting Services - but we're working hard on making sure we have a lighter version that fits latest restrictions.
Please contact me directly to afonso dot metello at epopeia dot com so we can get in touch and talk about giving you early access to this release we're working on.
Best regards,
Afonso Metello
Founder, Head Of R&D @ Epopeia
I guess my biggest gripe with the SU's is that it is imho counter productive for the product.

What I mean is this, the whole product is centered around making development quicker. Yet as was stated the tools that make this possible (i.e. intelliwarp) result in 'heavier than should be' SU usage. It will not be long before developers are asked to 'clean up' after intelliwarp in an effort to reclaim SU units if it means a manager or budget admin can prevent having to pay for a bigger license (even if only for a little longer).

It is also counter productive in the sense that every time a new application needs to be developped developers will have to justify why they want to use Agile Platform for the application again in an effort by the bean counters to conserve SU's.

I know it sounds dark but this is how it works in the real world in my experience. I have seen it first hand time and time again. I live that fight on a daily basis even.
Hi Hans,

Thanks for the feedback. It's been duly noted from the comments in this thread that that's something that needs to be taken into consideration by our product management in terms of designing both the licensind model as well as the development features, namely Intelliwarp.

As it has also been noted, the right forum for such suggestions should not be this " Uninstall" thread, but the "Ask OutSystems" link above, addressed to our product management directly. As I mentioned, that helps us keeping this thread on rails, and also allows the Product Management to have a clear and centralized vision of your feedback, as well as follow up with you should that be the case.

As in previous posts, I will forward your comments to the Product Management team.

I sincerely hope you understand, and I hope that you will keep your feedback coming, in order to help us improve the way you all develop your web applications :)

Regards, and keep up the great work.

Paulo Tavares