Views
Comments
Solved
Web block expression unable to be retrieved when used in lists
Application Type
Traditional Web
Service Studio Version
11.10.10 (Build 38781)

I'm relatively new to outsystems. So basically I created a web block which has an expression that joins the first name and the last name together. The first name and last name are input parameters to the web block. Apparently When I use the web block in table list , I set the input parameters to the source list first and last name i.e being the aggregate retrieved but then I run into this error.

Web block consists of placeholder called fullname within that an expression shown below.

Can someone please explain what i'm doing wrong ?

As In I created a reusable ui component , why does it ask me to set LastName And FirstName , Shouldn't that happen in the web block where I set them to the input variables ?

My Question Comes from this assignment

Solution

Hi Craig

The problem is you are using a placeholder. The widget put in placeholder is actually on the parent screen, So you can't access the WebBlock's input parameter.

In the WebBlock you should use an Expression instead of the placeholder.

Kind Regards

Thank you for your time ,unfortunately some did mention this and I was able to fix it.

Could please explain in more details, like how are placeholder different from containers and their scope ? uses and so on?

Solution

Hi, Craig Rodrigues,

The placeholder of a block is a place where the parent (screen or block) can put in what it need. In other words, what the parent put inside the placeholder does not have access to the web block input parameters.

Instead of using a placeholder, you could user a container and an expression inside the web block.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards

• Thank you for your help , this helped me greatly.

Could please illustrate the use of placeholders as I do understand how to pass data from parent to child using input parameters and events?

As in where do I use a placeholder instead of a container and so on.

Hi Craig,

you need to bind this value like checktable.List.Current.User.firatname and checktable.List.Current.User.Lastname .

it's work for you

Thanks

CV sharma

Solution

Hi, Craig Rodrigues,

The placeholder of a block is a place where the parent (screen or block) can put in what it need. In other words, what the parent put inside the placeholder does not have access to the web block input parameters.

Instead of using a placeholder, you could user a container and an expression inside the web block.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards

• Thank you for your help , this helped me greatly.

Could please illustrate the use of placeholders as I do understand how to pass data from parent to child using input parameters and events?

As in where do I use a placeholder instead of a container and so on.

Hi Craig,

You have the webblock GuestName built, but in your Home screen, you're using an Expression and not the webblock.

So, I'd suggest, on your web block GuestName (and not in the Home Screen), use an Expression with LastName + "," + FirstName (like you show on your screenshot.

On your Home screen, remove the expression and place instead the GuestName block (you can drag it from the right sidebar to your screen canvas) and fill the FirstName and LastName parameters.

Hope it helps.

Kind Regards,
João

Thank you for your time , I am using the web block the mistake was using a placeholder

Hi Craig,

This expression:

must stay inside the webblock GuestName:

after you do that, drag the web block to the cell of the table record in home page:

Hope it's help.

Regards.

Thank you for your time , I am using the web block the mistake was using a placeholder

Solution

Hi Craig

The problem is you are using a placeholder. The widget put in placeholder is actually on the parent screen, So you can't access the WebBlock's input parameter.

In the WebBlock you should use an Expression instead of the placeholder.

Kind Regards

Thank you for your time ,unfortunately some did mention this and I was able to fix it.

Could please explain in more details, like how are placeholder different from containers and their scope ? uses and so on?