[Discovery] Discovery no longer connects to environment after cert installed with custom domain
Question
Forge component by Francisco Menezes

We added a custom cert for our domain to our servers.  Now Discovery no longer finds any applications.  I have been through the configuration have the lifetime account set up.  It connects to lifetime and gets our domains.  However, it no longer creates snapshots or finds our applications or modules.  Looking for direction on how to configure discovery to find the applications once a domain has been changed.

Solution

After trying several options, I looked at the database and it was missing a table.  I republished the application, however none of the actions seems to have forced the data to load into the database tables.  So my UI was always returning no data.  I manually ran the data directly in the DB (I have direct db access).  This was the first time I have updated the Discovery data directly (no direct manipulation of the Discovery tables since it was initially installed).  I started seeing data on the UI as I manually ran the data updates.  However, I wasn't able to see reports or how many screens, actions etc were in each module.  Eventually I deleted Discovery and then reinstalled it.  It is now showing the data that I would expect.  Not sure if something happened with a Discovery Upgrade where new tables were added or not (the UI had changed when I was experiencing the issue), so not sure if it was related to the cert change or if when the cert changed, the previous snapshots were what my displays had been coming from, and with a URL change, those snapshots no longer displayed on the main screens.  So it is possible that the upgrade caused an issue. 

Solution: Uninstall the current version and reinstall Discovery.

mvp_badge
MVP

Good you got it solved!

Thanks for your help.  Was able to use it to help me narrow down to a resolution.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi,

Did you install the certificates to in the server running lifetime?

Please check the network requirements for Architecture Dashboard.

Check also the Architecture Dashboard setup.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks for the response.  The certs were installed by uploading them to lifetime through the UI provided by lifetime.  We are running on a cloud infrastructure provided by Outsystems, so I am assuming the network is set up correctly.  Prior to the cert install Discovery worked great and provided us the information about our applications.  Now Discovery does not provide any information.  Architecture Dashboard appears to be working as expected, the issue is strictly with Discovery no longer working.

Mark

mvp_badge
MVP

I am confused, as you talked about "connecting to the environment" I focussed on Architectural Dashboard.

Discovery is installed in an environment, it does not need to connect to it, so I don't understand the issue you have.

The connection to LifeTime is only for the teams configuration that is used to automatically define domains.

Sorry for the confusion.  I refer to it connecting to the environment as Discovery taking a snapshot or displaying the modules and relationships between modules that it generally displays.

The screen shot is from our system that has Discovery installed, but it is not displaying any applications or modules from the server that it is installed on.

Discovery does have some connection to Lifetime and it has been configured in Discovery and passes the Test LifeTime Connection button.

So trying to figure out why Discovery no longer shows any modules

And modules from the current system:

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark

mvp_badge
MVP

What if in configuration you disable the domain feature, what you see then?

Deleted the domains and running a new snapshot to see if it finds anything.  Will post once it completes with results.  I didn't see anything else in configuration to disable the domains.

mvp_badge
MVP

Thanks.  Missed that checkbox.  Have unchecked.  Nothing showing up in the modules, but will run a new snapshot to see if it refreshes the information.

Solution

After trying several options, I looked at the database and it was missing a table.  I republished the application, however none of the actions seems to have forced the data to load into the database tables.  So my UI was always returning no data.  I manually ran the data directly in the DB (I have direct db access).  This was the first time I have updated the Discovery data directly (no direct manipulation of the Discovery tables since it was initially installed).  I started seeing data on the UI as I manually ran the data updates.  However, I wasn't able to see reports or how many screens, actions etc were in each module.  Eventually I deleted Discovery and then reinstalled it.  It is now showing the data that I would expect.  Not sure if something happened with a Discovery Upgrade where new tables were added or not (the UI had changed when I was experiencing the issue), so not sure if it was related to the cert change or if when the cert changed, the previous snapshots were what my displays had been coming from, and with a URL change, those snapshots no longer displayed on the main screens.  So it is possible that the upgrade caused an issue. 

Solution: Uninstall the current version and reinstall Discovery.

mvp_badge
MVP

Good you got it solved!

Thanks for your help.  Was able to use it to help me narrow down to a resolution.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.