How data is being collected for architecture dashboard?

I am trying to understand end to end process of how data is being sent from Outsystems platform (installed locally - not cloud version) to Architecture dashboard SaaS. 

Does a timer run on platform and consumes webservices(https://architecture.outsystems.com/TrBrk_API/ArchitectureDashboard.asmx) to send data to SaaS and this data is being stored on Outsystems cloud?

Solution

I got following reply from Outsystems support. Hope this will be helpful for those who may be interested.

The timers from the Architecture Dashboard probe are used to support the synchronization process to the Architecture Dashboard SaaS. All the data generated (queues and instructions) are stored locally on customer infrastructure.

Timers information from module ArPr_Communication:
Tmr_RequestSynchronization
Timer that triggers the synchronization to Architecture Dashboard SaaS (Runs every 12 hours)
Tmr_RequestSynchronization_Manual
Timer that triggers a manual synchronization to Architecture Dashboard SaaS (Run when the user clicks on "request Synchronization" on the Architecture Dashboard plugin (LifeTime environment)
Tmr_GetInstructions
Timer that gets the instructions from Architecture Dashboard SaaS to collect the information needed to be sent from the LifeTime Probe (local installation)
Tmr_Housekeeping
Timer to periodically cleanup processes and message queues generated during the synchronizations
Tmr_BootstrapVersion_SendVersion
Timer that runs upon the installation and sends us the Version of the Probe Installed
Tmr_PermissionsInfo
Timer that supports the synchronization processing of the user permissions information to ensure that on Architecture Dashboard the users can see only the applications they have access to.

The connection is initiated in the local installation. You can find more information on How does Architecture Dashboard work

The timer that requests a synchronization is Tmr_RequestSynchronization and it triggers the API - Synchronization Request
The synchronization goes to a queue and after approval from SaaS, it starts. The information is sent from the LifeTime plugin (local installation) to the Architecture Dashboard through BPT processes invoking the EndPoint - SendInformation

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Sarah2016,

You can find how does Architecture Dashboard works in more detail here. The documentation on Architecture Dashboard is quite comprehensive about this topic, so you'll probably find most of your answers there.

Hope it helps.

Kind Regards,
João

I have gone through documentation few times and it does not mention about event occur to send data - I am guessing it must be a timer since it runs every 12 hours. I am not sure if some one who have are using dashboard could confirm.

mvp_badge
MVP

A probe pushes the data to Architecture dashboard every 12 hours but it can be requested manually, if you absolutely need (see here).

What initiate data push every 12 hours? 

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Sarah2016,

In order to have Architecture dashboard, you need to install probes. 

These probes expose all the relevant OutSystems Platform monitoring data through a set of REST APIs of a specific environment. 

The goal is to provide access to data that was only accessible through a direct query to the OutSystems Platform database so it can be:

• Consumed by OutSystems;

• Be used to explore the raw data and study OutSystems Platform, identify patterns and opportunities of improvement, applications behavior and performance, etc.

Since your environment exposes this information, it's the consumer, OutSystems in the case, who has the "timer" that retrieves the information of your environment every 12 hours.

mvp_badge
MVP

In your lifetime environment the Architecture Dashboard LifeTime Probe application has a module called ArPr_Communication that has multiple times that the Tmr_RequestionSynchronization is scheduled to run 2x a day.

If you open your LifeTime environment Service Center, then check the Integration tab for module ArPr_Communication, you can see all the calls made to collect and send data.

So you are saying during installation a rest API will be created in our platform and it will expose our data. A timer will run from Outsystems cloud and will consume these rest API to collect data. Do you know the name of these rest API that will be created during installation?

My understanding was A timer will run from our platform and will consume send information api(https://architecture.outsystems.com/TrBrk_API/ArchitectureDashboard.asmx?op=SendInformation) to send data to Outsystems cloud. I could be wrong here.

We have not installed Architecture dashboard yet. Our security team will consider installing dashboard if data connection is initiated from our platform and not in Outsystems cloud. Hence I need to understand who initiate connection.

Can you confirm timers you have mentioned collects data and data stored in our platform database. What happens next? Is it a) timer runs at our environment to send that data or b) a timer run on Outsystems cloud and consume API(installed during registration) to collect data? According to João Marques - its second option is correct.

mvp_badge
MVP

There are several communications, between the AD probe in lifetime and your DEV and PROD environment initiated by the lifetime AD plugin as I described. This communication takes place inside your dedicated  OutSystems infrastructure.

Then there is the communication between your  OutSystems Lifetime environment and the OutSystems cloud Architecture Dashboard SaaS, that is already described by João in a previous reply in this thread:

A probe pushes the data to Architecture dashboard every 12 hours but it can be requested manually, if you absolutely need (see here).

The arrows on the lines in the diagram shared by João give away the clue.

If you want to be 100% sure you could open a support case and try to get an answer from OutSystems.

In the meantime I will ask around at OutSystems to see if they can confirm what is stated in this discussion.

Many Thanks Daniël Kuhlmann - I will open a support case with Outsystems platform and will share reply here. I just wanted to be 100% before I proceed with Dashboard registration.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi again,

I finally got an answer from OutSystems:

• The data is pushed from OutSystems Lifetime to the Architectural Dashboard SaaS.
  • The communications are always initiated by the LifeTime plugin

So now you know for 100% sure.

Regards,

Daniel 

Many Thanks for confirming this. I have also got a reply from my support ticket which I will past on reply to main question - as it has details information.

Solution

I got following reply from Outsystems support. Hope this will be helpful for those who may be interested.

The timers from the Architecture Dashboard probe are used to support the synchronization process to the Architecture Dashboard SaaS. All the data generated (queues and instructions) are stored locally on customer infrastructure.

Timers information from module ArPr_Communication:
Tmr_RequestSynchronization
Timer that triggers the synchronization to Architecture Dashboard SaaS (Runs every 12 hours)
Tmr_RequestSynchronization_Manual
Timer that triggers a manual synchronization to Architecture Dashboard SaaS (Run when the user clicks on "request Synchronization" on the Architecture Dashboard plugin (LifeTime environment)
Tmr_GetInstructions
Timer that gets the instructions from Architecture Dashboard SaaS to collect the information needed to be sent from the LifeTime Probe (local installation)
Tmr_Housekeeping
Timer to periodically cleanup processes and message queues generated during the synchronizations
Tmr_BootstrapVersion_SendVersion
Timer that runs upon the installation and sends us the Version of the Probe Installed
Tmr_PermissionsInfo
Timer that supports the synchronization processing of the user permissions information to ensure that on Architecture Dashboard the users can see only the applications they have access to.

The connection is initiated in the local installation. You can find more information on How does Architecture Dashboard work

The timer that requests a synchronization is Tmr_RequestSynchronization and it triggers the API - Synchronization Request
The synchronization goes to a queue and after approval from SaaS, it starts. The information is sent from the LifeTime plugin (local installation) to the Architecture Dashboard through BPT processes invoking the EndPoint - SendInformation

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.