Usage of Service Actions

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the usage of service actions. 

I have read a lot of the documentation and want to start using Service Actions for logic that we reuse a lot across different applications. Our current architecture is set up so that all applications are independent of each other and all have their own data tables to store information. A lot of this information is basically the same though, but I think that is a different point. Our applications are all quite similar but do to scalability and development speed they are separated.

What I want to do is create some service actions so that I don't have to update or create the same logic over and over again. My struggle: 

I have applications that can show or hide questions based the answer to previous questions. We do this by checking if a condition exists and if yes check which questions (by alias) need to be a specific answer. To get the answer from that question we isolate the QuestionAlias from the value it needs to be. After this we search for the given answers by the question alias and check that answer with the condition. If matches, show next question, if different, no change (questions hidden by default). 

No the big stuggles lies within getting the answer to the question since this is stored in each application locally. Is there a way to get the answer inside the service module while being able to use the service across applications. Pushing all data via input will make the action very slow I guess. 

Thanks!

Max

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Max,

There was a session presented by Rui Coutinho in Next Step 2019 about Service Actions which is an absolute must watch on this topic. You can watch it here.

Additionally, in ODC 2018 there was a presentation about Domains and Service Architecture which is also very good, you can watch it here.

I could write more about services but certainly the presentations above are so much better and well explained, I would definitely start there.

Kind Regards,
João

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.