Celebrating Women's History Month - Part 4
Discussion

Hello OutSystems Community, 

We hope you’ve enjoyed our weekly series celebrating and highlighting our very own community members in honor of Women’s History Month! If you missed the previous posts, check them out here:

For this week’s post, we asked these four women what inspired them to pursue a career in tech and share one piece of advice they would pass on to others who would like to follow their footsteps.

Check out their inspiring stories and responses below:

Name: Carina Boom (she/her)

Company: Avo Consulting, Norway

Title: Manager

Question: What inspired you to pursue a career in the tech and dev space?

Answer: It took me some time to end up in IT! I have always had a strong interest in innovative technology. The main questions that I wondered about were “What makes innovative technology innovative” and “What motivates the people using it”. Over time, I wanted to become part of making these innovations myself and started in software engineering.

Name: Himabindu Kurra (She/Her)

Company: Deka

Title: Software Developer

Question: What advice do you have for women who are just beginning their careers in tech and/or pursuing a career in development? 

Answer: Starting days can be challenging but don't give up. Learn, Practice and Rise! Seek help,  if required. Believe in you always!

Name: Vanessa Espírito Santo (she/her)

Company: Indigo

Title: Junior OutSystems Developer

Question: What inspired you to pursue a career in the tech and dev space?

Answer: I've always been tech-savvy. I remember being particularly curious about how websites work behind the curtains. When the time came to choose a field of study, I ended up choosing a different career path. However, this curiosity never stopped growing and it was only recently that I decided to start doing online courses and tutorials. Once I began building scripts and my own website, I loved it and decided to do it professionally.

Name: Liz Thomason (She/Her)

Company: Crown Prosecution Service

Title: Head of Application Development

Question: What advice do you have for women who are just beginning their careers in tech and/or pursuing a career in development? 

Answer: I found this difficult to answer as I’ve never seen myself as being any different in the workplace because of my gender and therein lies my advice.  Even where society may try and place limitations on you, don’t place them on yourself otherwise you’re creating barriers before you’ve even begun. Think about what your long term goals are and work towards them every day.  That doesn’t mean you have to know exactly what you want to do from the start of your career, I didn’t, I just knew that whatever I did I wanted to be the best at it and I work at that every day.

Finding workplaces and people that will support you along the way is also important.  I’m fortunate to work for an organization that is recognized for its inclusive culture and that’s been key in supporting my development.

Bottom line, whatever it is you want to do, work hard, take every opportunity to learn and be become better at  it than anyone else around you and you will succeed.

….and one of the positives of working in a traditionally male orientated profession, there’s never any queues for ladies facilities at tech events!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we wrap up this month and reflect on all of the accomplishments that our very own members have achieved in their fields, let us continue to support and empower all of the women in our lives. Every single of these women are an incredible example for the next generation of women in tech to continuously challenge the status quo.

Are there any other women from the OutSystems community who continue to inspire you? Tag them below! 

Champion

Thank you for the highlight, it's an honour!
It's a pleasure to be part of this amazing community.

@Cat Martinez - you and other OutSystems women deserve a similar spotlight! You are an inspiration.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.