[Ultimate PDF] UltimatePDF: How can I have a cover without header and footer?
Question
Forge component by Leonardo Fernandes

Hey, guys!

I'm using UltimatePDF to make a digital catalog for my company.

The component is really usefull, but I'm stuck in one matter. The catalog needs a cover, wich I've included as you can see in the screen shot below, out of the main content structure, because it can't have header or footer. However, the generated pdf keeps showing both header and footer even in the cover. I can't delete header and footer content because it's necessary for the rest of the document.

Here's the structure (the selected web block is the cover):

Is there a way to do that? Include a cover without showing header and footer used in the main content?

A little help to clarify the matter:

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Eduardo Coelho

Solution

Hello again @Eduardo Coelho,

Please check out the attached oml. As previously discussed I used Simple Reports PDF to view, and Ultimate PDF to download the PDF. Hope it helps!

Best regards,

AJ

CoverLetter.oml

Hi, @=AJ= !

Apologies for the delay. I ended up getting busy with some urgent questions that came up.

I'll chek it out!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Eduardo

Hi @Eduardo Coelho 

Interesting post! I have never had to do it, but the following steps worked for me just now.

You could insert a 'cover' web block with the necessary cover content right above the actual pdf content in the screen. You just need to make sure the 'cover' prints to 1 page of the PDF document. You have to play around with the required 'Height' for the cover web block based on your content or achieve it with some css. This would change of course depending on whether you print it in Portrait mode or Landscape mode.

To break this down:

Step 1: Create a web block with a container of height 29.6 cm (you could do this with more fancy css but you get the idea)

Step 2: Insert the web block above the PDF content as shown below

That's it. I was able to print a PDF with the cover taking up the first page. Shown below:

Hope this works out for you, it is a bit 'crude' I admit and am eager to see if other members can weigh in with a cleaner option.

Regards

AJ

Hi, AJ! Thanks for the reply!

I tried this, but it keeps printing both header and footer over the cover.

Could it be related to the component itself? So I'd have to use another one? Because it seems it'll always print header and footer over all pages, since there's something on its placeholders.

Best regards,

Eduardo

Hello Eduardo,

On second thoughts, please ignore the previous suggestion as I was not using the 'PrintLayout' feature to insert headers/ footers. I was merely passing the URL for my report screen which had 2 web blocks - 1 for the cover and the other for the report content. So that wouldnt work for you. 

There is another option I am working on that is looking promising but I need to tweak things a bit. Hope to get back to you in a few hours. 

You could try it yourself, basically you can use Simple Reports PDF (works for Traditional Web) which works well with UltimatePDF to set your report up like this and then you use UltimatePDF to actually print the PDF out.

The trick as before though, is to size the 'COVER_Container' correctly so that it takes up exactly 1 page. Then everything else fits right in and the headers/footers from the main report no longer display on the first cover. It's a hack of course :) but hope this helps,

Regards,

AJ

Hi, AJ!

Thanks for the reply!

I'll try it ASAP.

Best regards,

Eduardo

Hi, AJ!

I'm trying to use Simple Reports PDF. To do so, I've made a web screen with a button that navigates to other screen. This other screen is where I've built the report. I think it should work, but the PageA4_Portrait widget asks for an action. What action should be this?

Best regards,

Eduardo

The Simple Reports PDF Demo helps understand its utility. Basically, just as in the demo, it could be used to call an action that executes javascript to click a hidden button on the report which in turn downloads the report. 

Regards

AJ

Solution

Hello again @Eduardo Coelho,

Please check out the attached oml. As previously discussed I used Simple Reports PDF to view, and Ultimate PDF to download the PDF. Hope it helps!

Best regards,

AJ

CoverLetter.oml

Hi, @=AJ= !

Apologies for the delay. I ended up getting busy with some urgent questions that came up.

I'll chek it out!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Eduardo

Hi @Eduardo Coelho,

No worries, it was an interesting ask to have a cover page without headers or footers. Hopefully this becomes a standard option in one or more of the Forge components in the near future. If not, I hope my suggested work around helps out.

Regards

AJ 

Thanks for the help, AJ!

It worked!

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.