[Microsoft Login Connector Reactive] Using Microsoft Login Connector submitting username and password
Question
Forge component by Miguel Amado

Hi,

We're busy integrating with Dataverse API's using app Secrets, but we are having loads of problems with it. Is it possible to make use of this component (Microsoft Login Connector) to retrieve a token by making use of a Username and Password instead of popping up the Microsoft Login screen?

I know other languages like C# and basic Javascript is able to do this using ADAL directly maybe?

Hi Miguel, As far as i know this component only uses API's to communicate and utilizes the Oauth2 OpenID connect mechanism.

ADAL is deprecated by the way, so i would find another way to utilize the authentication mechanism from microsoft:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/azure-active-directory-identity/update-your-applications-to-use-microsoft-authentication-library/ba-p/1257363

End of support timelines for ADAL and Azure AD Graph API

We’re publishing the following timelines for end of support of ADAL and Azure AD Graph.

Starting, June 30th, 2020, we will no longer add any new features to ADAL and Azure AD Graph. We will continue to provide technical support and security updates but will no longer provide feature updates.

Starting June 30th, 2022, we will end support for ADAL and Azure AD Graph and will no longer provide technical support or security updates. Apps using Azure AD Graph after this time will no longer receive responses from the Azure AD Graph endpoint. Apps using ADAL on existing OS versions will continue to work after this time but will not get any technical support or security updates.

Hi Bas,

Yes, I'm aware of ADAL not being supported, it's still what was used by other technologies though. Using the MS login oauth2 login API's manually, I keep getting the "Please sign in to your account" screen response, so not sure even if it's really possible anymore to supply the username and password programmatically instead of popping up that screen.

Hi Rudi,

Let me say first that I have no experience with Dataverse and have no idea how they implemented their authentication and authorization mechanism.  

However, the question you are asking; "Can I  silently request an authentication token by suppling a username and password to Azure AD" I can be clear. No, this is not possible. 

If you want an application (and not the user) want to access data secured by Azure AD you need to use App Secrets and access the Azure AD directly to get the authentication tokens. Currently this is not a capability of this component although I would very much like to add it in the near future. You can however implement this very simply yourself. Start reading the section "Daemons and server-side apps" and follow the documentation from there: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/v2-app-types#daemons-and-server-side-apps

I hope this helps.

Greetings,

Vincent

Thanks Vincent,

Let me try that... I've tried before, but maybe I missed something.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.