Using the LDAP Extension with AD LDS

Using the LDAP Extension with AD LDS

Can the LDAP extension (specifically the ValidateLogin Action) be used with Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS)?  How would you construct the Hostname and Username?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Chris,

From your message I understand the you want to validate the user login credentials of a user using the Active Directory LDAP interface with the OutSystems LDAP extension ValidateLogin action.

The format of the Hostname in the ValidateLogin action is the name of the Active Directory server that responds to the LDAP requests (eg: domain.mycompany.com).  The username, is  the username of the user prefixed by the domain (eg. MYDOMAIN\Username).

Kind Regards,

Daniel Lourenço
OutSystems
Thank you for the reply.  I was aware of the correct syntax...and it works with standard Active Directory...however when you use it with AD LDS (formerly called ADAM) it gives an error message that says "An internal error occured." when using a valid login.  With an invalid login the error returns the "invalid username or password" error like it should.  I was just wondering if it was actually compatible with AD LDS or if I should not waste my time trying to make it work.
Hi Chris,

I know we discussed this offline, but I would just like to leave our conclusions here.
  • Active Directory Lighweight Directory Services (AD LDS) is a light version of Active Directory Directory Services (AD DS) that can be queried using the LDAP protocol (read about here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa705886(v=VS.85).aspx).
  • There are some small differences between the way the Microsoft DirectoryServices class works for AD DS and AD LDS (read about these here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa772137(v=VS.85).aspx);
  • The OutSystems LDAP extension is currently not compatible with AD LDS (due to the authentication type used), nevertheless creating OutSystems LDAP login interface that is compatible with AD LDS is tivial - you just have to create an OutSystems extension where you use the DirectoryServices class using the AuthenticationType.None authentication type;

Kind Regards,

Daniel Lourenço
OutSystems