[Advanced Excel] Advanced Excel Replaces Excel Package (which has AdvancedExcel.xif)
Forge component by Carlos Freitas
Application Type
Traditional Web, Reactive

We have multiple applications in an onsite install.

One of our existing applications makes limited use of the older "Excel Package" from the forge.
Upon installing Advanced Excel, the Excel Package module is removed, and I get errors in the the old application, due missing or updated References.. I was not expecting this at all.  The Updated references are probably OK, but there is a Workbook_Open_BinaryData action in the Excel_Package xif file that does not appear to have an equivalent in the Advanced Excel package. 

Can someone advise the best course of action here?  The other Workbook_Open modules in the New Advanced Excel do not have the same options..

This is really quite annoying, as I installed Advanced Excel to use in a new Application we are developing - believing this to be the right Excel package to use.  I was not expecting that it would in anyway interfere with the existing Excel Package, being used by one of our older applications.  I needed to reinstall Excel Package in our Dev environment to address the Excel Package issues caused by the advanced Excel module, and as you might expect it replaces the Advanced Excel module.

Changing our older application to use Advanced Excel is probably the right thing to do, but would require the regression testing and the simultaneous release of all affected programs...

Not happy at the moment.. :(

Cheers

Steve Pope

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hi Steve

The latest "Under Development" version should solve your issue.

Hanno

This worked.
Was a time consuming, one off process update of dependencies, but all Excel_Package references appear to have a direct replacement in the new package.

The Under Development version would appear to be better than the Auto selected Stable version? When does the Under Development version eventually become the stable Supported version?

You can't Select the Under development version from the forge via Service Studio, which is annoying.  (Had to download and install in Dev via Service Center.)

I lost the demo version of the App in this process which is a little frustrating as well.

Thank you for your assistance, and for pointing me in the right direction on this. 

Cheers

Steve Pope

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Steve

There are still quite a few bits of untested code in the "under development" version and cannot be released as a stable version at the moment. One of the big changes was to allow this package to be a drop-in replacement for the Excel_Package component.

As with a lot of other things in the past year, my personal timeline and dedication to this project was somewhat derailed due to Covid. I hope to have more time available soon to give more attention to this component and bring a new stable version, as that is definitely needed!

Hanno

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.