Mobile Dropdown Search not working in preview
Application Type
Mobile
Service Studio Version
11.10.21 (Build 41765)

Hello all,

I am creating a Mobile application that uses the DropdownSearch widget. I am encountering the same problems as described in this post: in the Outsystems Preview, the OnSelect handler is not called (even it just contains a message). See my uploaded example.

Now the post I quoted was marked as solved as the problem only appears in the Preview and not on a phone or if you browse the app itself, but I'd still say this is a bug that needs solving. If I demo the app during a presentation, I'd really like to be able to use the preview. Not to mention, Outsystems opens the Preview mode by default, meaning I have to jump through hoops to actually be able to use my app in a browser.

Have I overlooked anything? Is there a way to get it working in Preview anyway? Or are there any plans to fix this?

Thank you,

Joris

TestDropdownSearch.oml

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hi Joris,

Although I understand your point, I would not test nor demo a mobile application in the browser preview for a couple of reasons:

1. For starters, users want an app, not a preview, that's why one develops a mobile application, so why not show them one, the real thing, rather than showing them a preview?
  2. The same way this dropdown search does not work properly in the preview, plugins will neither. You will need to have the app to access plugins (think about android back button, firebase notifications, etc., etc.). Thus you will want to test and demo a real scenario, not be kept dwelling around bugs that actually do not exist.

Kind Regards,
João

Hello João,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'd say it's a valid point that for a test and a demo, you want to get as close to a real scenario as possible.

I do think there is some room for improvement in terms of user-friendliness to the developer. If I press the central Call to Action "Open in Browser", and the application shows strange behaviour like events not being called, this certainly gives the impression of a bug. Plugins not running is one thing, but this is an standard OutsystemsUI widget. I'd at least expect so see a warning of some sort. Something like "This is a preview, plugins and certain functionality is disabled." Especially since it does appear to work if I press the Expand button.

Just my two cents. For me, it's enough that I know now.

Thanks for your help!

Joris

Champion
Solution

Hi Joris,

Yes I agree with you about preview mode is used to showcase the mobile app. But remember, preview is only for helping the dev to "view" what the mobile apps will shown on the devices. 

Preview also cannot "view" native capability (GPS, Accelerometer, etc.). 

My suggestion if you need to demo the app, better use on native device, and using screen mirroring app (for Android I use scrcpy https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy), because with this, you also can showcase the native capability in your app.

Thanks 

Hello Toto,

Thanks so much for the reaction!

I'll definitely check your suggestion out for my next demo. :)

Have a good one,

Joris

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

Hi Joris,

Although I understand your point, I would not test nor demo a mobile application in the browser preview for a couple of reasons:

1. For starters, users want an app, not a preview, that's why one develops a mobile application, so why not show them one, the real thing, rather than showing them a preview?
  2. The same way this dropdown search does not work properly in the preview, plugins will neither. You will need to have the app to access plugins (think about android back button, firebase notifications, etc., etc.). Thus you will want to test and demo a real scenario, not be kept dwelling around bugs that actually do not exist.

Kind Regards,
João

Hello João,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'd say it's a valid point that for a test and a demo, you want to get as close to a real scenario as possible.

I do think there is some room for improvement in terms of user-friendliness to the developer. If I press the central Call to Action "Open in Browser", and the application shows strange behaviour like events not being called, this certainly gives the impression of a bug. Plugins not running is one thing, but this is an standard OutsystemsUI widget. I'd at least expect so see a warning of some sort. Something like "This is a preview, plugins and certain functionality is disabled." Especially since it does appear to work if I press the Expand button.

Just my two cents. For me, it's enough that I know now.

Thanks for your help!

Joris

Champion
Solution

Hi Joris,

Yes I agree with you about preview mode is used to showcase the mobile app. But remember, preview is only for helping the dev to "view" what the mobile apps will shown on the devices. 

Preview also cannot "view" native capability (GPS, Accelerometer, etc.). 

My suggestion if you need to demo the app, better use on native device, and using screen mirroring app (for Android I use scrcpy https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy), because with this, you also can showcase the native capability in your app.

Thanks 

Hello Toto,

Thanks so much for the reaction!

I'll definitely check your suggestion out for my next demo. :)

Have a good one,

Joris

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.