Right-click Scripts directory, Import Script alternatives?
Service Studio Version
11.10.22 (Build 41777)

Outsystems defaults to Javascript, but there are many others such as Dart, TypeScript, CoffeeScript, PHP, etc.

Can other scripting languages like TypeScript be imported and used in Outsystems Script directory or application?  If so how?  If not, why?

No shade on JS but there are alternatives that have better security and readability, etc.

As far as I know, there isn't an officially supported way to directly import scripts other than JS to your applications for Client Actions and C# code for the Server Actions via Extensions. Perhaps there is some sort of workaround depending on your specific needs, but it probably won't be as easy as right-clicking and importing them to your apps.

This is simply because the "final" code that is automatically generated by the Platform Server from the applications developed in Service Studio for the client-side is JavaScript, and official support for other languages isn't available, therefore the platform is unable to import them and deliver their functionality to the end users on the final application.

I know this isn't too much of an in-depth explanation, but unless someone from the product team answers directly why they selected that specific tech stack for the application over the other available options (or if they are planning on extending their compatibility on a future release), then I suppose this is the best answer most people will be able to give you.

Thank you for the response.  I was able to speak (unofficially) with an OS engineer recently and from what I understand it comes down to: anything other than js may conflict with React, causing unexpected errors and platform issues. Also there is no official plan to explore this in the future for as long as React is in use.  So yes, your answer is very close to the mark, thank you again for your contribution.

I will mark your response as solution so that community can consider this Q&A closed.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.