User account - self service options - Help!

User account - self service options - Help!

I've dug around the various fora for some guidance on how to build the basics of user management.

By that I mean handling a new web user that visits my site and chooses to register a new account:  providing personal information, selecting a user id and a password, and then logging in with the new credentials.

So far, the default response seems to be "use Enterprise manager" but that appears to be predicated on an administrator creating and managing users on the back-end rather than providing web site visitors with a slef-service way to become users with site accounts.

I am a newbie on this platform, but this requirement is vital to what I want to achieve... Hope somebody can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
James
Hi James, and welcome to the OutSystems community forums.

Is good to use Enterprise Manager because is a back-office portal that centralizes all common administration tasks such as users, roles and the existing applications’ back-offices. But you don't need to create the user on the Enterprise, you can give to the users a self service option. 

Follow this steps:
1 - On eSpace properties make the Enterprise Manager your user provider;
2 - Add the USER_MASTER entity and USER_MASTER_Create action from the Enterprise Manager;
3 - Now that you have an user entity, just need to create a form were the user can input is registration, put a button or a link for a screen action and inside use the USER_MASTER_Create;
4 - On the action you maybe need to add permission areas to the new user, dependes if you define or not. 

Info: Inside Enterprise Manager you have actions to do the logging process, grant permissions to an user, change password...

Take a look of the style guide (http://www.outsystems.com/NetworkSolutions/ProjectDetail.aspx?ProjectId=6), is a very good template maybe helps you. 

I hope that helps.

Regards
Hugo Pinheiro
Hugo,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive response. Certainly you have pointed me in the right direction. Very useful.

Regards,
james
Hello Hugo,

I guess I hit a wall and am not sure how to continue. Would you be willing to provide a little more guidance by expanding on my comments below?

1 - On eSpace properties make the Enterprise Manager your user provider; DONE

2 - Add the USER_MASTER entity and USER_MASTER_Create action from the Enterprise Manager; They are listed automatically (using ServiceStudio v5.1). What else do I need to do?

3 - Now that you have an user entity (Not sure what this means or if it is as a result of step 2 above), just need to create a form were the user can input is registration (is there a built-in form or do I create a new page from scratch?), put a button or a link for a screen action and inside use the USER_MASTER_Create (a step-by-step guide would be helpful here);

4 - On the action you maybe need to add permission areas to the new user, dependes if you define or not. (Not sure how to do this either - adding a role/permissions would be useful)

THANKS!!
Helo James,

On the oml attached you can see a register example very simple.

Regards
Hugo Pinheiro
I hate to say this, but I've done a number of public-facing applications now with Agile Platform, and Enterprise Manager is not well suited for them. I've developed a framework which I've now used in a number of projects that fit this pattern, and it just handles stuff a lot better than EM does. EM is a great solution for internal-facing applications (thus, "Enterprise Manager") but for outside stuff, rolling your own is a better choice. If you'd like, I can give you a quick walkthrough of my framework if you are interested in seeing how to do the kinds of things you are looking for, including:

* Account Administrators
* Password Resets
* User Accounts underneat Customer Accounts
* Adding new usersw (self signup, account admins adding to account)
* Global administrator with "ultimate control"
* Monthly billing for services
* Rich HTML email to customers (account admins only, or all users)
* Shutting off accounts in the event of an unpaid bill
* Much more...

J.Ja
Justin,

Thanks for the resopnse and the alternative viewpoint.  I would of course be interested in finding out some more about your solution. How would you like to proceed?

Thanks,
james
James -

Send me an email at justinjames [at] titaniumcrowbar [dot] com and we can arrange a time to do a phone call/screen share. To get an idea of what the framework I have can do, you can take a look at an application I am working on: http://ratcatcher.titaniumcrowbar.com

Thanks!

J.Ja
Hugo's sample helped me a lot..
Thank you Hugo
Hi Justin,

I am in the processing of trying to figure out whether to try and build my app on this platform.
Much like you described, I need a way for new users to be able to go to a public form and enter some basic info, them be able to login in to be able to build a profile.
I would love to see how you built your platform, if you are open to that.  Also, it would be great to get a sense of how much time and effort you had to put into this to get it to function.

Thanks!
Joey -

I'd be glad to give you a demo! Send me an email (justinjames@titaniumcrowbar.com) or give me a call (803-760-7127) and we can set up a time. It's not rocket science to do it (nothing is, with Agile Platform, which is why I love it!) but it does take time/testing to get it right.

J.Ja