Organizational difficulties when working in a team

Hi guys,

We are facing an organizational difficulty on our project and I'd like to ask for advice and best practices.

We have a UI designer in our team. He creates the graphical elements and places them on the screens from Service Studio. He starts from forms created by drag and drop, but he combines them, remove parts, add additional buttons and placeholders, etc. He creates empty actions if needed to be able to publish the project and hand over the screen to the developer. As you can expect, part of the actions has been automatically made. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Some of the actions are also completely empty. As a result, it is difficult for the developer to know how much of a feature is missing without testing each element one by one, and a lot of time is wasted this way. And when the UI designer starts to reuse components between screens, a lot of hard-to-solve regressions and issues start to appear... The whole process is inefficient and time consuming for the developer.

I think the problem comes from the fact that the UI designer willingly breaks the code before passing it to the developer. We tried peer programming and it can fix this problem, but it's not that easy when you are working from home and a lot of time is lost when the designer is waiting for the developer to implement the actions.

It is a good thing that the UI designer and the developer can work on different parts of the app at the same time and have specific tasks depending on their role. I tried to look for help regarding this situation at https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11 without success.

I’m guessing part of the problem is that the UI designer shouldn't commit actions which are not implemented yet. But this is required by the platform in order for the developer to update and access the newly created screens. Is there a way to deactivate this validation needs for the UI designer?

Perhaps the situation can be improved with a naming convention or an organizational adjustment. I guess many projects face similar issues when team members don't have the same roles but are working on the same apps.

Did you already face similar challenges? And how did you manage to improve things?

It is a really important question while start work with outsystems. We always refer

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/Best_Practices/Architecture/Building_mobile_apps_with_multiple_independent_teams/Development_best_practices

I hope it can give a better idea.

With Best wishes

AJ

Hi Maxime,

I think its better first create life style guide for your project first based on project/company branding with the help of your UI developer. Then refer the  reusable UI components and patterns from there to include into the project for use this way you will save a lot of time also your UI developer will work on Lifestyle guide that will not have any actions or business logic inside.

But remember you should not promote the life style guide in upper environment like (QA or PREPROD or PROD) its for developer to use in development environment only.

Dileep.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.