Expression weirdness

Expression weirdness

Ok so maybe I am doing it wrong but ...

I have a simple recordlist that has some integers in it. I want to add a calculated column to the table that does some calculations with the values.

So far pretty simple but to my surprise it refuses to work. Debugging the app shows me several -unavailabe in current context- errors. More specifically it seems to get confused with the () signs that I put in to group the calculcation (and 'force' the order in which the calculation is done).

after all

X / Y + Z is not the same as X / (Y+Z) ...

I have attached a small oml. If someone could be so kind as to smack me around the ears and tell me what it is I am missing here ?
Hi Hans,

Well, this one is actually a bit obscure, but I think I - sadly - know what's up here.

Read this post and let us know if it answers your problem :)

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
You are of course spot on as usual. Which brings me to two questions.

1. Would it not make sense to design a knowledge base application to hold tidbits like this. I know the forum has search features but still getting to that post given what I was experiencing was not trivial imho. Don't get me wrong I love the forums and with people like you monitoring them the answer is never far away. It just would help maybe to have a knowledge base with keywords to search.
2. Debugging the application (including the example I posted) led me completely in the wrong direction, specifically the error messages stating '-unavailable in current context-'. Perhaps it would make sense to have truechange warn on implicit casts ? Such as when someone does a divide of two integers and the result is implicitly cast as an integer too. Also the error message during debug just seems weird, it effectively prohibited me from seeing the value of integers during debug.

Thanks again for the spot on response as usual.

Cheers,
Hans
Hi Hans,

The suggestion to include that warning does make a lot of sense. I'll forward it to our engineering team, for them to include in their backlog. I'm sorry you had to go through it.

Regarding the knowledge base, we've been working somewhat in that direction, namely with our Guides and How-tos section in the forums, but we're always looking for ways to improve, so thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

Paulo Tavares