Integration Studio and Navision

Integration Studio and Navision

Hi all,

New to the forum and Agile Platform but enjoying the experience very much so far...incredibly powerful stuff!

I am attempting to integrate with our Navision ERP solution for some simple lookupos however when I attempt to import entities I am getting numerous errors indicating that some Navision column names are invalid - these columns contain spaces.

Is there any way around this issue?

Many thanks,

Simon
Hi Simon, and welcome to the OutSystems community forums.

While I have never integrated with Navision, I'm pretty sure it has been done in the past. How are you integrating with it? How are you importing the entities? And exactly what errors are being displayed?

If those are the only 3 problems you're having with the integration, I recommend dropping a line to our support department as well, since it might be a bug!

Do let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
Hi Simon,

Did you took a look into the MSCRMDynamics Connector

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks for the pointer to the MSDynamics integration - unfortunately we are using Dynamics NAV not CRM so not applicable in my case.

The errors I am receiving relate to the 'import entities from database wizard'. Once I have selected the datasource and table I get the following output;

- Entity Swift_Invent_Ltd_Dimension_Value: Entity was added
        Server: Navision (DbConnection)
        Physical Table Name: "Evision_latest"."dbo"."Swift Invent Ltd$Dimension Value"
        Identifier: Entity has no identifier
        Attributes:
            timestamp(Binary Data <- Binary): Attribute was added
            Dimension Code(Text <- VarChar): Attribute was ignored due to invalid name
            Code(Text <- VarChar): Attribute was added
            Name(Text <- VarChar): Attribute was added
            Dimension Value Type(Integer <- Int): Attribute was ignored due to invalid name

If I accept the above the wizard proceeds and the entity created however the attributes detailed as 'ignored due to invalid name' are not available. All of these attributes have spaces in the table name.

Regards,

Simon

Hi Simon,

It seems you've done all the work for us in troubleshooting this scenario.

It does seem that we are not handling well those attributes with a space in the name - I don't know if it's a bug or a design decision, though.

What I'll recommend, though, is two-fold:

- First, do submit your extension as is, along with this excellent detailed explanation of the problem. They are better equipped to tell you if it is a bug - and, as such, submit it to our R&D to be included in the backlog - or if it is a design decision, and what are your possibilities in such scenario.
- The second thing you can try to do is to accept the wizard's outcome. As you have learned by now, what the wizard does is it creates the .Net code to communicate with that entity in Navision. After doing this, you can try to manually add the missing attributes, and then create the missing code for it to handle those attributes correctly - it might be as simple as replicating the code for the other attributes, or it might require some extra tweaks, but you'll only know that after trying to use the extension.

Let us know if this makes sense, and if you need some further explanation on our end about how to do it.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
Aditionally, as a workaround, you can consider creating a View in SQL Server that does not have spaces in the column headers.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Tiago,

That's such an eloquent solution I am a little disappointed I didn't think of it myself :)

Works a treat.

Simon
A solution like that gets my thumbs up (as well as a loud "d'oh" for not coming up with it myself ;) ).

Cheers, and thanks!

Paulo Tavares
Thanks. Your comments remind me of a great quote by Buckminster Fuller,

"When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty, I think about solving the problem...
but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."

I don't think it completly applies to this though, as it is still a workaround, but I glad to hear it has solved the problem.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões