IIS7 Error on Amazon

IIS7 Error on Amazon

I uploaded my site to Amazon EC2 and it works fine. I then assigned an elastic IP address through Amazon because I wanted to direct my domain to my site, but when I visit the IP address, it takes me to a "IIS7" page, not my site. In addition, I get an error now when uploading to my EC2 instance. If I terminate the instance and start a new one, re-upload my site, it seems to work fine until I assign the elastic IP again. Does this make sense? Am I missing something?

I have a second question too. How do I backup my outsystems data from my site? When I terminate the instance, it terminates all of the data that was entered into my outsystems program. Do I need to have the download to excel links on my databases and back each one up daily, and then, if something happens to my site, reupload the site and import the excel files to refill the databases? I hope that makes sense, I just need to figure out how to back my data up.

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark,

I have to say that while I have never set up a specific instance in the Amazon cloud, I read that many have done it with success.

Have you read the guide to setup your Amazon Cloud server?

Regarding your instance, and losing your data: there are ways to set up your machine to be persistent, meaning that if you shut it down it will store all data.

If, however, you want to export all data, you should do it two-fold:
- make sure that you download all relevant eSpaces and extensions from your server (this can be done using a solution), and
- make a database backup through the SQL Server Management Studio

If you just want to backup specific data (i.e. some tables or some contents), the best way to do it could be to create your own export mechanisms, I guess.

I hope these answers, while a bit superficial, help you get a sense of what you should do.

Let us know how it goes, and if you need further, more detailed, clarifications.

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
Hi Paulo,

So for the database backup, I need to download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and that will allow me to backup all of my users/logins and table data? Is this correct?

If I set it up to be persistent, how do I do that? Within the service studio service center or the amazon server? I assume service studio service center?

Thanks so much,
Mark
Hi Mark,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

I have asked our technical support department to chime in on this, since they are definitely the best people to answer the best to these two questions. I encourage you to send them an e-mail at support@outsystems.com since then they can also ask you more questions directly about your specific scenario.

However, on a small note:

So for the database backup, I need to download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and that will allow me to backup all of my users/logins and table data? Is this correct?

I know that you can do it through Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. I don't know if that's the only way to do it, but that's where I usually do it. However, that leads us to a second question, which is: what do you want to do with that data, afterwards? If you want to backup the data so that in case something goes wrong you can restore it to that machine, then yes, that is correct. If, however, you want to restore that data to a different machine, I sincerely would rather have our support team get back to you, since I can foresee some problems in the process which I don't know how to cope with, namely entity table names, restoring the applications, and the like.

If I set it up to be persistent, how do I do that? Within the service studio service center or the amazon server? I assume service studio service center?

This is set in Amazon, not in the Agile Platform.

Let us know if this helps, and if you can sort out these problems.

Regards,

Paulo Tavares
Hi Paulo,

Thanks for the response. I am looking ahead at the case of an instance/server crash and losing all of my users and table information.

~Mark
Hi Mark,

If your instance storage is powered by an EBS volume, the data will be persisted after your instance is terminated. You can then boot other instances based on the same volume and your data will be kept, so your experience will be similar to what you have when you shut down and bring back up a normal machine or a virtual machine.

You can create EBS volumes and boot instances based on those using the EC2 Console.

On your instances based on EBS volumes you also gain the ability to "stop" them (instead of terminating them) so you'll be able to bring the instance back up (again, using its current state with the up-to-date data) whenever you want to.

For more information, you can check the official EC2 documentation regarding these features.

Cheers,
Miguel
Hi Miguel,

Thanks for the response. I looked at my ec2 information and I have 1 instance running with my site. I also have 1 volume which is attached to something, so I assume it is attached to my instance, however I cannot figure out how to confirm that. The volume must have been automatically created when I started the instance (?).

So are you saying that if my instance were to be terminated, for some unforeseen reason or problem, that I could create a new instance and assign that volume to my new instance and all of my data (usernames/passwords/table data) information would repopulate the instance and my site would contain all the users and information it did in the prior instance? Am I understanding this correctly?

Also, what does creating a “snapshot” do for me?

Thanks!
Mark
Hi Mark,

Sorry for taking so long to reply! I'll post the info in the forum rather than replying to your pm since like this it may be used to help other people with similar issues.

Amazon offers instances with two kinds of storage
  • Volatile S3 backed storage - instances started from volatile storage will lose all disk changes upon termination
  • EBS backed storage - instances started from EBS volumes can be stopped instead of terminated and resumed later. Your data should keep persisted throughout the lifetime of these instances and you won't pay for instance time while the instance is stopped (just for usage of the EBS the storage)
Amazon also offers the ability to create snapshots from EBS volumes. These snapshots are like a photograph of the volume on the point of time when the snapshot was taken. You can create a new volume from the snapshot and they can be created very fast and consistently even from volumes that are attached to running instances. This makes them a perfect ally regarding backups.

Unfortunely you can't terminate an EBS backed instance and start a new one from the volume that instance left behind. What you can do is bundle the instance (the instance is temporarily shut down while the bundle takes place) which will create a new AMI from it. The new AMI can then be used to boot any number of new instances. You can also attach the volume to another instance and recover the files the volume contains.

Therefore my recommendation regarding running the Agile Platform in EC2 instances is:
  • Launch your instance
  • Create an EBS volume and attach it to the instance
  • Point your database catalog files to the attached volume
  • Install the agile platform in the attached volume
  • At this point you should have your platform up and running but all your data is on the attached volume and not on the root volume
  • Rebundle the instance (create a new AMI)
From then on, the backup creation process is trivial:
  • Create snapshot for the attached volume
  • Yep... that's just it. Both the paltform files and database files were on the volume and are archived in the snapshot
The backup restore process is also very simple:
  • Launch instance from the bundled AMI
  • Optionally re-create the volume from a snapshot
  • Attach the volume to the instance
  • Again, both the platform files' and the database were restored and everything should be working fine from here on
Another alternative is to attach an EBS volume to your instance, backup all files and catalogs to it as you would to a DVD or other backup medium and detach the volume. You could then restore your data from the EBS volume as you would restore it from a DVD or other backup medium.