[Ultimate PDF] How to install a forge component, both Traditional and Reactive (with the same name)
Forge component by Leonardo Fernandes
Application Type
Traditional Web, Reactive

Hi,

We are already using Ultimate PDF (traditional) in our environment (name = Ultimate PDF) which is used by our Traditional Web applications. 

Now there is a Reactive version available (name = Ultimate PDF) which we would like to use with our Reactive application.

I am afraid the Traditional version will be overwritten by the Reactive version if I install the new component.

Does anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amir

Hi Amir,

I think they upgraded from tradional web to reactive web, and the action that generates the PDF works for both now. 

The new version also doesn't have the IsReactive and ReuseSession inputs any more, it works without needing them (we just tested this).

So I guess, when you install the new version, your traditional version will be overwritten indeed, and it might need slight refactoring.

Regards

Hi,

Thanks for your ready.

I just don’t understand why the new Reactive version has the same name as the Traditional one. These are two different platforms. This is a new component.

By doing this all traditional applications which using the traditional component become unstable after the upgrade. This force you to make changes to all applications which use this component, test and rollout. This is not desirable.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Regards,

Amir

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Amir.

New projects are starting as Reactive Web, and Traditional projects are just staying in maintenance mode, or being replaced by Reactive ones. So it makes complete sense that Ultimate PDF is installable and usable natively in Reactive Web, which is now the main use case. Moreover, new customers do not even have access to Traditional Web applications, and they wouldn't be able to install the component if it remained as Traditional Web component.

We had an option to launch a second component for Reactive Web, but the component would rank second (or even lower) for a long time, and some users would just stick with the Traditional Web version because it ranks higher. It would also mean that users could install the new Reactive Web version without removing the Traditional Web version. This is not desirable because you would have two applications launching browsers, and they could conflict with each other.

I understand this decision comes at a cost for existing projects, that are using the Traditional Web version. However, this is the decision that optimises the experience for new projects, which use Reactive Web. To make the upgrade process easier, I have documented it in an upgrade guide.

Hope this answers your question.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.