Cannot download source code of the application.

Cannot download source code of the application.

When i follow the process shown in how to, it just downloads OML file and not the complete source code.
What more do you need? The OML is everything you need to edit the application. If you want all of the dependencies as well, either download the extensions, or create a solution and download that to redeploy as a full package.

If, what you are looking for the underlying .NET or Java code, this *can* be gotten, but it's not terribly useful. I've only felt the need to look at it once, and even then it didn't tell me anything useful.

J.Ja

Hi Koustubh,

The Agile Platform was built from ground up with an architecture for detaching in order not to lock OutSystems customers to us. That is, the architecture to detach is an exit option OutSystems provides their customers to secure their investment and protect their intellectual property.

As such, the detachment of the applications generated code from the Agile Platform is only to be used as an “exit option” for customers with a paid subscription. The detach architecture was not designed to avoid becoming an OutSystems customer, benefiting from the development part of the Agile Platform while not paying for that value.

Given this, it is only allowed to detach the applications generated code if you had an Agile Platform subscription active and chose to stop using the Agile Platform. At that stage, you can detach all your applications and must destroy and stop using the Agile Platform.

However, you can obviously evaluate this functionality while you are evaluating the Agile Platform to decide if you want to subscribe its usage. If that is the case, then please send an email to followup@outsystems.com and request a trial license with that capability.

Kind regards,

Rodrigo Castelo

Hello Rodrigo,

as I am working my way through the HowTo's integrated in Service Studio (5.1.1.18) I found myself wondering the same as Koustubh.
If this is a feature that is not generally used, I don't see why this is integrated in the HowTo's the way it is.

As a new user, the first thing I think when I see this document in the HowTo is that I can always download the generated source code. I would suggest it to be made more clear in the HowTo course that this feature is only meant for when you want to migrate away from Outsystems and is not available during normal usage of the Agile Platform.
Hi Thijs,

You are absolutely right. We are reviewing the materials to make clear that the code detachment is an exit option of customers who want to stop using the product.

For your reference, the material was like it is because we used the lingo and terminology of new users to give proper results in search engines and human scans. It is a common question from new users: where is the source code? Can I change it? This is all visual, will I be locked to you?

So we tried to make visible that there is no lock-in to the technology, and then people understand they could use the platform as a code generation tool...

We are adjusting the message again :)

Thank you!
Are you saying that the only way to get to the source code is to detach?  Most other frameworks give you the ability to use the cool wizards that Out Systems has, but also the ability to jump into the source code directly from the IDE and make code changes directly.
shawn keller wrote:
Are you saying that the only way to get to the source code is to detach?  Most other frameworks give you the ability to use the cool wizards that Out Systems has, but also the ability to jump into the source code directly from the IDE and make code changes directly.

The way the system works, it is no surprise at all that you can't just "jump into the source code", because there is no source code until you publish. This is not a fancy source code editor, it is a source code generator. Keep in mind that it can generate Java AND .NET code. As a result, once you start to edit the generated code directly, there is no way to reconnect it to the OMLs and other Agile Platform data.

That said, if you talk to folks who have been around the system for a while (like me, Evert, Joost, etc.) to handle a variety of things, you'll see that we're not finding a need to edit the code anyways. If I need to do something specific that Service Studio can't, Integration Studio lets me write an extension to handle it. There's only been a rare occasion (2? 3? times in the three years I've been working with the system?) where I said, "gee, I really need to edit the underlying code to do XYZ", and I invariably found an acceptable workaround anyways.

J.Ja
IDEs have been allowing custom code generation and customization since the early 90s.  Not sure what it is an issue here. 

Let’s say for example that I need to incorporate some business logic to perform a complex calculation or some critical business functionality.  Where do I do that?  From what I can tell, OutSystems allows you to do CRUD against a database or call web services, but not really anything related to true business logic. 
What am I missing?
shawn keller wrote:
IDEs have been allowing custom code generation and customization since the early 90s.  Not sure what it is an issue here. 

Let’s say for example that I need to incorporate some business logic to perform a complex calculation or some critical business functionality.  Where do I do that?  From what I can tell, OutSystems allows you to do CRUD against a database or call web services, but not really anything related to true business logic. 
What am I missing?

Shawn -

Use Visual Studio to create proxy classes to a WSDL. Then, edit the proxy classes. Would you expect to be able to submit the edited proxy classes back to the SOAP service and have it update the service to match your classes? Of course not. That is a fair analogue to how Service Studio works.

That said... if you do not see a way to implement "true business logic", you should probably dig a bit deeper (I suggest taking the tutorials, they are very helpful!). You can implement all of the calculations you want out of the box, it's not hard. All of the expressions that you would expect to see are available in the various logic and assignment systems. If you are absolutely stymied, you can always write .NET or Java code in Integration Studio. The only time I find myself writing .NET code in Integration Studio is when working with REST services that have goofy authentication systems, or when I need to do something really specific that the system just does not support out of the box (like certain regular expression tasks).

I'd be glad to spend a few moments on a screen share/phone call to show you what you may be confused by, if you'd like. I don't work for OutSystems, just like using the products. :)

J.Ja
Can you send the link on advanced tutorials?  I have been throguh the ones that I can find but they only seem to pertain to CRUD and web services.
shawn keller wrote:
Can you send the link on advanced tutorials?  I have been throguh the ones that I can find but they only seem to pertain to CRUD and web services.

Shawn -

The Academy's "Developer" track is an AWESOME way to learn the platform:
http://www.outsystems.com/training/

H
ope that helps! If not, like I said, I'd be happy to get on a call/screen share and show you some tricks, free of charge, sales pitches, etc.

J.Ja