Work with an environment without affecting other developers

Hi all,

My background is in traditional .NET development and I'm on my first Outsystems experience (with a Reactive application), trying to understand and become better with the platform.

The company I work for has a "dev" environment where developers work and make their changes to (bug fixes, enhancements...).

When working with .NET I used Git, where I commited changes to my local repository, until I was happy with the state of the code. Then I pushed the changes to the remote repository.

In Outsystems (please correct me if I'm wrong) you make changes, or Publish, directly to the "dev" environment in the same way as other developers. Your changes then affect the other developers immediately.

If what I said is correct, this doesn't allow me to experiment with the code. Let's say I want to freely try some changes in the code without worrying too much if that will affect other developers. As far as I understand, I can't do that with Outsystems. (is that right?)

- Is there a way to work with the "dev" environment without affecting other developers?

- Is it possible to revert changes form a specific Publish if I want to?

- Is it possible to, perhaps, make a copy of the application, to test/experiment with my changes? And if happy, migrate those changes to the "official" application?

Thoughts? 

That's it, you can debug in your personal area without publishing in dev environment. You just need to have published at least once in dev environment before.

• Only after publishing the module for the first time, you will be able to run it in your Personal Area;
  • To allow running the module in a Personal Area, the environment must be in Development Running Mode.
  • To ensure consistency between areas, there are some elements that when changed require the module to be published in the Public Area, instead of the Personal Area: Entities / Site Properties / Session Variables / Timers / Roles / Module references.
  • The module must be single-tenant. 

Hi Leonardo,

to work directly in "dev" (Public area) you will affect other users. You can always revert changes to previous versions published.

when you are working in a project you have the possibility to work in the Public or the Personal area. What you want is to work in your Personal Area. You can make changes there without affecting others and merge later in the Public area.

Check this topic to understand how to use it and its limitations:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Developing_an_Application/Troubleshooting_Applications/Debugging_Applications/Public_and_Personal_Areas

Regards

José, thanks for your reply. I think the personal area doesn't work for me because the application type is Reactive (not Traditional).

You should have a Personal area too for Reactive.

Can you show your Service Studio menu?

That's it, you can debug in your personal area without publishing in dev environment. You just need to have published at least once in dev environment before.

• Only after publishing the module for the first time, you will be able to run it in your Personal Area;
  • To allow running the module in a Personal Area, the environment must be in Development Running Mode.
  • To ensure consistency between areas, there are some elements that when changed require the module to be published in the Public Area, instead of the Personal Area: Entities / Site Properties / Session Variables / Timers / Roles / Module references.
  • The module must be single-tenant. 
Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.