Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

Upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008

I want to upgrade SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 with Platform Server 5.1 anyone have already do this?
Thanks congrat's
Hi Miguel,

Microsoft does support the upgrade from SQL Server 2005 to 2008, so as long as they support it you shouldn't have a problem from our end. If you do want more information about this, I strongly encourage you to get in touch with our support team.

Paulo Tavares
I've been in touch with this particular upgrade and for what I'm aware the upgrade procedure from the SQL 2008 setup only created a new running instance of the server and didn't upgrade the previous instance (making the server executing a instance on 2005 engine and one on 2008 in the same machine [the 2008 instance was empty btw], instead of the expected outcome that would be one upgraded running instance of the 2008 engine)

But Miguel will be in touch with the support to try to fix this issue.
Hi Pedro,

Thanks for giving us a bit more context. That does seem like a strange behavior, but sadly I haven't upgraded such SQL instances in the past, so I really can't comment any further. On top of my head, have you tried backing up the 2005 database, and restoring it in the 2008 instance? I'm just guessing here for workarounds, I haven't done this in the past.

Do let us know when you have more info regarding this specific issue.

Paulo Tavares
Hello Paulo.

Yes the backup/restore method was tried sucessfully (even though for some reason it took more then 10 hours to restore) but as I mentioned 2 instances running on the DB machine instead of one is not ideal scenario we had in mind.

For the full context we are executing a OS 4.2 + SQL 2005 to OS 5.1 + SQL 2008 upgrade, we sucessfully got to the point OS 5.1 + SQL 2005 and are trying to finish the last step the upgrade of the SQL version
Hi Pedro

If you already have the Agile Platform 5.1 running on the SQL Server 2005, all you need is to upgrade the SQL Server instance to SQL Server 2008. This task should not require backup/restore steps, although it's strongly recommended to perform a full backup of the database for rollbacks purposes if necessary.

In order to upgrade the SQL Server instance to SQL Server 2008 according to the best practices, I recommend Microsoft dedicated documentation for that effect, available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=66d3e6f5-6902-4fdd-af75-9975aea5bea7&displaylang=en. This documentation is specific to upgrading instances of the SQl Server 2000 and 2005 to SQL Server 2008, according to Microsoft best practices.

If your previous attempts to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 resulted in two instances, in which SQL Server 2008 one is empty, then you either didn't perform and upgrade, or you missed some steps.

Regarding the Agile Platform, I recommend stopping IIS and OutSystems Services while the SQL Server instance is being upgraded to 2008.

Hope this informaiton is helpful.

Miguel Simões João