BPT vs OnClickSave
Question

I have certain approval steps which needs to be created and I am trying to figure out if I should simply create the approvals using my own approval table when the item is created on screen using the OnClickSave. Essentially, I will write all the logic of creating approval tasks to different users for the workflow using a server action when the Save button is clicked.

Although I can use the BPT to do the same thing, I find it easier to use my own tables to get the logic completed. I like to use my own tables and fields to do the things I want done instead of having the system generate other tables and fields to get the same thing done.

My questions is - Is it not a good idea to generate your own logic steps for approvals via a server action instead of using BPT?

I am not sure which way to go, hence the  question! 

Thanks for any input!

It will not be a problem as far as your own logic is optimized.

Happy coding!!

Thanks, Aadhavan S

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi,

They way you experience a lot of people do, BPT is by no means easy to grasp. Did you consider the Workflow builder for easy approval workflows? This would generate your OutSystems mobile app leveraging BPT, without forcing you to code it all yourself.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi @SP99 ,

From my POV, using BPT is a best practice.

You can use either of both ways, but system-generated tables and logic for BPT are perfectly optimized. 

If you are using BPT, you don't need to finetune the logic, don't need to apply the index to your table, you can find the current status of the process in the service center, etc., but if you are implementing your own logic, you have to think about these things..  have to apply logs for all the logic, apply the index to the process history table (else process time will be increased in future), etc.

Thanks, Aadhavan S

Thanks for your input!

@Daniël Kuhlmann, I like the Workflow builder but I cannot use it because my initial form needs to access a dropdown field that comes from another table.

For example, a Location dropdown needs to be selected which comes from another table with fields like Location Name, HRColleagueUserId, PayrollColleagueUserId.

The task needs to be created for the HR colleague and Payroll colleague that matches the Location selected in the initial form. 

Outsystems workflow does not allow the usage of dropdown fields coming from another table.

@Aadhavan Shanmugam,  I just need a simple approval table that shows the name of the approval task, assigned user, workflowIdentifier, IsApproved boolean and approval message. It seems much easier to simply create this new table than to have to be on top of the whole slew of tables created by Outsystems when we use BPT.

Would it be a problem if I don't use BPT for my situation?

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi,

You can still use WFB to generate the OutSystems app, and then customize it to your requirements in Service Studio, but the heavy lifting of the code is then automatically already done by WFB.

Regards,

Daniel

It will not be a problem as far as your own logic is optimized.

Happy coding!!

Thanks, Aadhavan S

Daniel, I need to add multiple workflows that will have different logic as far as assigning approval tasks to. 

When a user accesses the Approvals page, they should be able to see all approval tasks in one place for all workflows.

I am not sure if I will be able to do that if I use the WFB as it seems to create a whole new app and whole set of tables everytime it is used to create a workflow. 

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.