Why do we need Groups?
Question

We are are doing everything with Roles so when do we use groups? If so, how can we use it to restrict access? Please help.

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

You don't need to use a group in your app directly. It is just a concept to limit administrative work.

So if a use role is checked, if not a specific User Role, OutSystems will look if the user is part of a group that has the required role.

The only place where you would use group in your application is with BPT activities (see for more information https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/45589/bpt-assign-activity-to-group/ )

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi Krishnambal,

When managing large sets of end users, it can be difficult to manage their roles individually. Instead of manually assigning roles to each end user, you can create groups of end users and assign the roles to the group.

Example:

• Given 1000 users that need to have 20 roles.
  • Without groups you have to apply the same  20 roles to 1000 users = 20.000 actions
  • With groups you apply the 20 roles to 1 group, and the group to 1000 users = 1001 actions.

For more information read: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Developing_an_Application/Secure_the_Application/End_User_Management/Manage_End_Users_and_Organize_Roles_using_Groups

Regards,

Daniel

I also had gone through this but this doesn't say the exact scenarios where groups will be useful.

i.e. You have 20 roles that are very common to be assigned to most of the users. You put those roles in a group and assign the group to the users that need it. It's much quicker and easy to manage.

mvp_badge
MVP

I described the scenario:

When managing large sets of end users, it can be difficult to manage their roles individually. Instead of manually assigning roles to each end user, you can create groups of end users and assign the roles to the group.

Example:

• Given 1000 users that need to have 20 roles.
  • Without groups you have to apply the same  20 roles to 1000 users = 20.000 actions
  • With groups you apply the 20 roles to 1 group, and the group to 1000 users = 1001 actions.

Ok thank you. Can you tell me how to do it?

mvp_badge
MVP

The link in my first reply explains it, just read it.

Hi Daniel/Jose,

I clearly understand how to add users and roles to a group. My doubt is how to use a group? Can we assign groups to users only from Users application? I couldn't find any option in service studio to use a group like we have for Roles

mvp_badge
MVP
Solution

You don't need to use a group in your app directly. It is just a concept to limit administrative work.

So if a use role is checked, if not a specific User Role, OutSystems will look if the user is part of a group that has the required role.

The only place where you would use group in your application is with BPT activities (see for more information https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/45589/bpt-assign-activity-to-group/ )

Alright. Thanks, Daniel.

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.