[OutSystems UI] Submenu not closing when link opens in new tab
outsystems-ui
Reactive icon
Forge component by Platform Maintenance
Application Type
Reactive
Platform Version
11.14.0 (Build 34092)

When upgrading to the new 2.8 submenu, I've noticed that the submenu no longer closes after clicking on a sub menu link that opens in a new tab (target = _blank). The previous version does. I've followed the submenu upgrade instructions.

Is this new behaviour expected?

Solution

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the confusion, but the answer is actually the same :).

In other words, on the new pattern, the only way to close the submenu is by clicking on submenu title or the document body, anywhere outside of the pattern itself. 

We think this is a better behavior, as it prevents having to constantly reopen the submenu when clicking on multiple submenu items.

Best regards,

Bernardo Cardoso

Hi @Tim Bates ,

Thank you for the report!

In this case, we implemented a different behavior for the new submenu pattern. 

Our research showed that is a more correct UX pattern to not close the dropdown when doing a right click, to perform some browser action.

Best regards,

Bernardo Cardoso

Hi Bernardo, 

Just to be clear, it's not a right click - it's a standard left click on the sub menu link. The link has a target="_blank" reference so opens in a new tab. The original window has the submenu left open - you have to click again to shut it manually.

If you understood this correctly first time, then apologies for my lack of knowledge of more correct UX patterns - I still prefer the old behaviour which seems more logical.

Solution

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the confusion, but the answer is actually the same :).

In other words, on the new pattern, the only way to close the submenu is by clicking on submenu title or the document body, anywhere outside of the pattern itself. 

We think this is a better behavior, as it prevents having to constantly reopen the submenu when clicking on multiple submenu items.

Best regards,

Bernardo Cardoso

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.