[OutSystems Maps] Maximum number of map markers
outsystems-maps
Reactive icon
Forge component by Platform Maintenance
Application Type
Reactive

Hi All, Is there a known limit on maximum number of markers supported by the OutSystems Maps component?
I have noted a few times across some maps I have worked on (both on mobile and reactive) that the outsystems maps component cannot populate all the markers in the markers list - from some some limited playing around my estimate is that the limit is somewhere near the 800 markers region.

Has anyone else noticed this limitation?

This does not happen when using the Google Maps forge component. 

Solution

Hello again.

After some quick tests I confirmed that there are no limit on the OutSystems Maps side, but probably on the platform side.
I did a first test with 8000 places (as a best practice with an if condition around the markers list tight to the IsDataFetch attribute of you data sourece) and checked that for some reason I only got 857 consistently:

After I disabled the list virtualization I was able to get them all:

Hope this helps and internally I'll try to gather more information about this supposed limit.

Cheers,
GM

Thanks for your support Gonçalo.
That sounds about right (the 857).

I think what you are saying is that the OutSystems list item component  which is now used to add markers in the OutSystems Maps - is responsible for this issue. That makes sense as this is not used in the other components or older versions of this component.

What is the list virtualization (what is it used for)? and how does one disable it, is this right?

Hi André,

As you know the platform generates React code so this is the same visrtualization concept that you have and for more detailed information you can check this documentation section.
The way to disable it is extacly the one you have on the screenshot.
What this will do is to load all the records on the list directly. Careful with this feature since on large lists this will cause performance issues (I tried with 42k records and my browser just got unstable), so this should be used with caution and for very specific use cases (a good example is on an image gallery for instance).
Let me know if this works for your use case and mark this post as solved to help other community members.

Cheers,
GM

Hello André.

First of all, thank you for reaching out with this topic.
I'm not aware of any limitation on the number of markers, but could you please help me understand that so that we can have more information:

• how do you notice that limit? any console error or unexpected behavior?
  • could you provide an example about how're using the markers and from where are you getting them?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
GM

Solution

Hello again.

After some quick tests I confirmed that there are no limit on the OutSystems Maps side, but probably on the platform side.
I did a first test with 8000 places (as a best practice with an if condition around the markers list tight to the IsDataFetch attribute of you data sourece) and checked that for some reason I only got 857 consistently:

After I disabled the list virtualization I was able to get them all:

Hope this helps and internally I'll try to gather more information about this supposed limit.

Cheers,
GM

Thanks for your support Gonçalo.
That sounds about right (the 857).

I think what you are saying is that the OutSystems list item component  which is now used to add markers in the OutSystems Maps - is responsible for this issue. That makes sense as this is not used in the other components or older versions of this component.

What is the list virtualization (what is it used for)? and how does one disable it, is this right?

Hi André,

As you know the platform generates React code so this is the same visrtualization concept that you have and for more detailed information you can check this documentation section.
The way to disable it is extacly the one you have on the screenshot.
What this will do is to load all the records on the list directly. Careful with this feature since on large lists this will cause performance issues (I tried with 42k records and my browser just got unstable), so this should be used with caution and for very specific use cases (a good example is on an image gallery for instance).
Let me know if this works for your use case and mark this post as solved to help other community members.

Cheers,
GM

Yes..approx 850 only although not limited but restricted to figure in use

Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.