[Growl Feedbacks] Discussion

[Growl Feedbacks] Discussion

Forge Component
(17)
Published on 2011-12-29 by António Chinita
17 votes
Published on 2011-12-29 by António Chinita
I'll add a few more features soon. In the meanwhile, post your bug reports, tips and sugestions here.
Hi,

Just had a play around with this... it's really sweet. Thanks for posting!

One minor suggestion to be included on a future revision: the description for the Growl_Feedback states "Displays a feedback box based on the last call to the Feedback_SetMessage() action.". I believe you probably meant "Displays a feedback box based on the last call to the Growl_Feedback() action.", right?

Cheers and keep up the good work, António!

Miguel
Thanks.

I implemented heavily over the original Feedback WebBlock, for scalability reasons, so I guess a few descriptions are still there.
Will change that in the next release :)
I've added a new version of the component with a new feature.
Edit: It does not depend on any of the previous ones (not even the WebBlock). So it's totally optional.

There are two new actions:
  • GrowlSetup - Returns the binary data and filename of a setup file for your server
  • SysGrowl_Feedback - Send messages directly to the user's system.
The new feature integrates with an included windows application, that will receive feedbacks you send to it from your Outsystems applications.
What does this mean? That you can send messages directly to a user's system, provided he has installed the application and is running it. 
Quite handy if you have the need to send notifications when the user is not accessing the web application.

The notifications you send in this way can also be completed with a URL, that will be opened once the user closes the respective feedback.

There are also a few Site Properties that allow you to setup a few default behaviours for the Setups
  • SysGrowl_AllowSavePwd - Allow the client to save the password in the disk, using it in the next session.
  • SysGrowl_StartWithWindows - Default value for the "Start when windows starts" option
  • SysGrowl_SyncInterval - Interval between each client synch request. (Minutes)
Tip: There is a reason the GrowlSetup action returns a filename as well. The generated name allows the setup to know where to get the configuration file. Use the name returned by the action in your download widget. If you absolutelly need to change the destination filename, make sure it has the format <something-without-the-"_"-character>_<Hostname>.exe. Example: MyNotificationSetup_myOutsystemsServer.exe

Limitations
  • Currently it only supports HTTP servers (not HTTPS)

Here's a demo: http://screencast.com/t/DBsD6XDPjn7V
Atttached to this post is the C# source for the application, as well as the install script source (NSIS).

This is still some sort of beta, as I'm sure I haven't added error handling to all the possible things that can go wrong and there might also be a few bugs, so...
Any feedback, corrections or bug reports are highly apreciated.

Best regards :)
António

Great Job, will check it out!
Looking forward to your feedback Robert. As I've said, it's sort of an early version, so every feedback is more than welcome. Thank you :)
Man, this component just keeps getting better! Thumbs way up, Chinita!

Keep up the great work,

Miguel
@Antonio

Great component, the only suggestion I would like to make is, instead of creating your own desktop app, can you build a growl plug-in for growl for windows, and growl for mac, this way the user can use standard growl that he might already use for other applications.

Note: Your plugin can connect to the agile platform application via web services, RSS etc

@Miguel, thank you. Will do. :)

@Robert, thank you once again. To tell the truth I don't use growl for windows, so I've never thought of that. Great idea. Will surely look into that a little bit. :)
As promised (Thanks Robert), the new release now integrates with Growl for Windows.

It will still work if the user doesn't have growl running. In case he does, the messages will popup through Growl.
This has also put a few fresh ideas on my drawing board, more to come soon.

Enjoy :)
@Antonio

That was fast, less than 24 hours, delivered :)
Agile Delivery FTW :)
Hi! 

I've an issue with this extraordinary component (congrats!): when I put a feedback in the preparation method, it appears twice the same message.

Any workaround?

Tks,
Hello Carlos.

Quick question, why would you need to feedback something on the preparation?

If you don't use the component you will not get the repeated message right (using only RichWidgets)? Are you using both the Growl_Feedback webblock as well as the action to send feedback or using the action from RichWidgets?

Best regards,
PC
@Carlos

To display the message only one time, you could add an if statement and a flag variable, to determine weather or not the message has already been displayed or not.

Pedro Coelho wrote:
Hello Carlos.

Quick question, why would you need to feedback something on the preparation?

If you don't use the component you will not get the repeated message right (using only RichWidgets)? Are you using both the Growl_Feedback webblock as well as the action to send feedback or using the action from RichWidgets?

Best regards,
PC

To display an information to the user. I'm using only the Growl_Feedback webblock in the footer of the pages and it works perfectly, except the situation I reported.

I only have one action of feedback but it appears twice...

Robert wrote:
@Carlos

To display the message only one time, you could add an if statement and a flag variable, to determine weather or not the message has already been displayed or not.

As I said before, I only have one call in the preparation so that logic doesn't apply.
Carlos Monteiro wrote:

To display an information to the user. I'm using only the Growl_Feedback webblock in the footer of the pages and it works perfectly, except the situation I reported.

I only have one action of feedback but it appears twice...

Hi Carlos, thanks for your feedback. Glad to know you like it.
Have you tried Robert's solution? Or even using IsLoadingScreen()?

Can you provide a code sample? I couldn't replicate the behaviour :)

António Chinita wrote:

Hi Carlos, thanks for your feedback. Glad to know you like it.
Have you tried Robert's solution? Or even using IsLoadingScreen()?

Can you provide a code sample? I couldn't replicate the behaviour :)

Use the feedback action in the preparation method and voilá.
Carlos Monteiro wrote:

Use the feedback action in the preparation method and voilá.

Looking into it. Thanks once again.
Will provide feedback + correction as soon as I manage to correct it without "hacks" :) (Sorry for the delay with the feedback)
António Chinita wrote:
I'll add a few more features soon. In the meanwhile, post your bug reports, tips and sugestions here.

Hi Antonio

Is there any version of this component on 5.1ver.?
João Inácio wrote:

Hi Antonio

Is there any version of this component on 5.1ver.?

Hi João. Sorry, there is no 5.x compatible version.
However all the code should be fairly simple to replicate from 6.0 to 5.x, just open both eSpaces and copy what you see.
If you sucessfully go through that process and feel like sharing, I'd be happy to add it to the version history (with due credits, of course) :)
Hi all!

I have tried to use this component in my application. But, it pop-ups with the traditional feedback message. Any steps to follow to use this component ?
When i try publish i get this message 

Intellectual Property Error

You are trying to Upload or Publish an eSpace whose Intellectual Property is Protected, since it was created in a different Agile Platform Infrastructure".

What i can do?
Euber Bispo wrote:
When i try publish i get this message 

Intellectual Property Error

You are trying to Upload or Publish an eSpace whose Intellectual Property is Protected, since it was created in a different Agile Platform Infrastructure".

What i can do?
 Hi Euber.
Visit http://www.outsystems.com/ipp/

Fill in the email where you will receive the updated eSpace, as well as the destination activation code.
The activation code can be obtained by accessing ServiceCenter. Specifically the Licensing section, under the Administration tab.

Select the file you downloaded, press upload, and you will receive an updated version of the code in your email shortly.

Cheers,

Hi all,

I've downloaded the SysGrowl installer in the growl feedback sample, after i installed it in my laptop(windows 8),
there is a microsoft .net framework error. Is there an issue using the SysGrowl in windows 8 or do i need to install a .net framework for this?

Thanks,
Ron
António Chinita wrote:

Looking into it. Thanks once again.
Will provide feedback + correction as soon as I manage to correct it without "hacks" :) (Sorry for the delay with the feedback)
The problem still persists when calling Growl_Feedback from the preparation method.

One workaround is to use the Feedback_Message action from RichWidgets instead, but keeping the Growl_Feedback widget on the page. This preserves the formatting and prevents repeated messages. However, the Feedback_Message action does not have a MessageTitle option.