Competition hotting up.

Competition hotting up.

Mendix platform (mendix.com)
Came across this a few weeks back and looks strangely similar to outsystems as a platform.
I can see a revolution is in the making but still urge the companies not to keep it to themselves, let the masses know about these tools by opening up the learning paths, with concrete education tools and when the user is confident enough with the tool, they can approach the certifications being offered. Might be on my own on this but I think the education dept need to expand the materials available...

A revolution only known by a few gurus is not a revolution!

happy coding....

Hi Albert,
Many thanks for your posting. I can give you some insights if you like to, because there are differences.
Cheers,
Mark

Interesting to see outsystems customers that use the agile platform are also on mendix customer list.

The same customer are using both products!? I do wonder which product is actually better, it does look very simular.
Mark,

Maybe it's good to write the differences here so everybody can read them?

Kind regards,
Evert
One big difference : Mendix uses an engine to run their (java) apps ... 

Ok OutSystems uses IIS or jBoss to run, but those are just webservers and not proprietary software
The Mendix visual modeling environment is much more sophisticated and user-friendly.  Outsystems generates code which can become out-of-sync with the model, and hence render the platform unusable.  This destroys the intent of speed, control, and transparency.  Outsystems always requires IT involvement, whereas Mendix applications can be built (if desired) with little or no IT involvement.
Hello Mendix Customer, 

Thank you for your point of view, we really apreciate different opinions,  but what we really really apreciate is transparency, that is why our customers believe us and assume publicly that they are our customers.

Transparency, is part of our culture, we assume who we are, what we believe and even when participating in other foruns, outside our confort zone, we identify ourselves as being part of OutSystems, always.

Once again, feel free to participate in the community, we're here to help and dismitify any topic you would like. Also I invite you to participate in the nextstep event to get to know from our customers and partners their opinion. http://www.outsystems.com/nextstep

Cheers, 
RNA
Hi Mendix Customer,

Just run into this thread and would like to clarify your statement in order not to leave wrong facts here.

The Agile Platform does generates standard, well architected, well documented and highly performant web and mobile web applications, with or without business processes. The resulting applications are standard .NET or Java applications, on top of a standard ER model on SQL Server or ORACLE. We decided to rely on standards for two reasons:

1. To assure customers always have an exit option from our technology, not rendering them locked to us. If they do not see the value of the platform, they won't loose the invetment made in building their applications - they end up with the source code of the applications they built, in the native language (C# or Java)
  2. Because we want to take advantage of the standards to deliver, maintain and operate high-performance and high-quality enterprise solutions. We guarantee their applications will use all the improvements the underlying technology allows, with no change in their applications (our compiler will make all the adjustments)

Teams using the Agile Platform DO NOT change the generated code because there is never a need for it. The Platform visual language is very mature and comprehensive, allowing you to build anything you would build with Visual Studio or Eclipse in the web realms.

In the event you need to write your own code (C# or Java), to reuse a library or integrate with a legacy system, you do it in very elegant way by writing that code and making it available at the visual language level, to reuse across your applications. We call those modules, written in C# or Java, Extensions, because they extend the built-in visual language.

I understand it is difficult to believe or see the picture if you are used to those old days RAD tools. You need to give it a try to understand what I'm saying.

You must also have in mind that the Agile Platform is not just a RAD tool. It does contains a RAD component but is much more than that, it allows you to maintain your applications and do configuration management, monitor them, operate them, stage them automatically across environments with zero-downtime and over a farm for horizontal scalability, do version control, one-click rollback also, and always, always continuously change them to satisfy the business requirements at unprecedented productivity levels. One major premise is that we focus on solving the "real use case" behind the usual feature set. E.g.: our performance monitoring and analytics focuses on giving you the specific information that allows you to immediately determine which change/optimization you should make in the system to have a better performance, instead of bloated CPU and RAM charts which require you to do a manual, time consuming root cause analysis. This is how you're able to react and change fast... not with a big toolset that is complex to use and operate.

Our first customer back from 2001 still has applications built then, which keep running and being evolved and changed as we speak. Applications that support hundreds of users a day, in their core business activities. Not only the platform can support millions of users (such as www.fly.com which was built with the platform), but it can also sustain high complex application portfolios with more than 20K function points. And they can still be easily maintained by a small team!

Regarding IT involvement, you are right. Although the platform can be used by power users not used to program, the Agile Platform is a product intended to increase the IT productivity to levels they never tought possible, simply because they are used to a best-of-breed toolset that is disconnected, and IMHO, deprecated (it's like if they are in the industrial age, instead of the knowledge age). We too dream of the day we can make it so simple that everyone will be capable of doing their apps, but the fact is that business people is focused on their business, not on building tools. That has been the responsibility of the IT department, which continuously seems to fail to it because it lacks the proper tools to build and maintain the systems. If we solve that IT productivity problem, we’ll be happy, and so will be the IT folks. I’m biased, but I believe our proposed solution is already light years away from the alternatives (traditional and new ones). Although, if you go look in the market, every single technology has the same value proposition... But they either lack the maturity, or in fact fail the value proposition in practical terms.

Obviously, we can provide such high productivity levels because we focus ONLY on enterprise web and mobile web applications, and business processes. We don’t solve other problems (fat clients, desktop applications, brokers, ...).

Cheers,
Very good Rodrigo, an excellent overview of the platform, I am about to complete my first month working with the platform and can say that I'm quite surprised and surprises are very good, I've had experiences with other platform that intends to do what the OutSystems does and I can say that is way ahead OutSystems platform and delivers what it promises a simple, stable and secure. Congratulations OutSystems,  as a business owner it gives me a lot of security to increasingly invest in the platform.

Alexandre Costa
Brim Sistema Ltda