integrating webcam

integrating webcam

hi i am working on an e-registration app.i want to integrate webcam functionalities so that when a person s photo is taken its automatically saves to the database and assigned to the image widget control. i know such a thing could be done with adobe flex,but any chances of implementing it on the  agile platform would be appreciated.i dont want to use the image widget for manually uploading the photo.which means i have to snap the image resize and upload,which will consume much time.
Hi Tmlewin,
Take a look at this.

Yes it is possible, you just need to have an extension and call the methods, take a look at this.
http://www.outsystems.com/NetworkForums/ViewTopic.aspx?Topic=camera-capture-ASP

Regards
Carlos Rocha
THANKS CARLOS! FOR YOUR HELP.I HAVE DOWNLOADED THE CODE AND  ITS RELATIVELY EASY TO IMPLEMENT THE PROGRAM IN VISUAL STUDIO ENVIRONMENT.BUT WHAT IF I WANT TO IMPLEMENT IT FOR  IN AGILE PLATFORM PROJECT ,WOULD  I HAVE TO CREATE AN EXTENSION FOR IT WITH THE CODE(WHICH I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING) SO THAT I CAN USE THE EXTENSION TO IMPLEMENT THOSE FUNCTIONS IN SERVICE STUDIO ENVIRONMENT.
Hi Tmlewin,
Yes thats right, you can integrate asp methodes using extensions and integration studio. 
those methodes will appear in service studio like a normal action.

Regards Carlos Rocha
Hi Tmlewin,

well i will leave in attach a small solution that i created, it contains an oml that makes use of flash to control the webcam, these flash is being wrapped by javascript that will call the flash events.

I think this will do just what you want, you can take pictures and this pictures will be stored in the database, take a look on it and let us know more about your question.

EDIT: you can check now the component page here.

regards and have a nice weekend!
Miguel
thanks a lot miguel for the link.i tested the oml and it loaded but when i click on the take button nothing seems to happen .and also on the flash interface it doesnt show my face.it displays "youcam" which is the name of my webcam driver.thanks.
ok i have finally fixed the drivers(and iam seeing my self on the browser) and its working,but the take action is not working.when i click the take not happens know notification and and the image is not inserted in the database. i have even readjusted my camera resolution settings to 1280 * 800 but it didnt work either.any help will be appreciated.thank you very much for the help rendered so far.
Hello,

hmm strange thing is happening there, can you check if every reference is updated?

did you download the one attached or the one in the components page?

regards,
Miguel
Cool stuff, Miguel!

This kind of stretches the boundaries of Outsystems; and that's kind of what we're all looking for in this forum.

Thumbs up!!!

Cheers!

Eric
hi miguel i downloaded both but none of them are working.the problem is from the take button action ,when i click it doesnt capture the image and insert in the database.you attached other extensions like rich widget and httprequest handler in the webcam.osp.but i didnt make use of them,i only installed the utils_msa and the webcam oml.everything is working exept that it doesnt capture and insert the image in the database.thanks
Hi Tmlewin,

I'll ask you just to, republish utils_msa and then the webcam eSpace and see if the problem continues.

If yes, did you have that problem in all browsers?

in firefox with firebug (if you don't have it install it from here) and in chrome using the inspector (hit F12 key) could you check if there is being logged any javascript error?

example when you use chrome inspector:

regards,
Miguel
thanks miguel ,it was a javascript error which i managed to correct with firebug and i also reconfigured the javascript settings of my browser.its now working perfectly as expected.this webcam api really pushes the boundary of the agile platform and it has given me an insight on how to integrate complex stuff into the agile platform like the biometric program i had on visual studio.net but was having difficulty mapping it to integration studio format.i am currently going to modify the webcam web block so that it automatically resizes the image size to passport photograph size on the fly before inserting to the database.big thanks for your help.
I'm glad to know that!

feel free to ask and share you questions, we are here to help!

regards,
Miguel

Hi Miguel,i developed a problem along the way while using the webcam web block.i was developing an app that was to make use of the webcam component.i imported all the extensions/references and the weblock .i tried to replicate the sample oml for the webcam component in my own application,everything worked smoothly and compiled and published..but the problem occurs when i take the snapshot,the table widget gets updated but the image doesnt show.all other columns like filesize,file mimetype e.tc. are all visible but the image doesnt show.the webcam captures it perfectly but the image doesent show in the table but other attributes are visible.please any help with regards to this issue will be appreciated.And one more thing the sample.oml in the webacam component works,but when itry to replicate all the steps in my own espace everything loads in the table except that images dont show.And i even used firebug to check for javacript error but it was clean(no errors or warnings).Thanks
Can you upload a sample oml on how to integrate webcam? Thanks.