Orders Management Tutorial: Newly created entities not tied to any data file
Question
Application Type
Reactive
Service Studio Version
11.53.8 (Build 60995)

https://www.outsystems.com/training/lesson/2560/create-the-order-management-application?LearningPathId=24

I have completed the tutorial above successfully, but I am not getting the form to save and display new orders.

The reason is the two entities I created as part of the lesson are NOT tied to any data file.

I have gone over the tutorial with a fine toothcomb and cannot find any instructions to link the entities to a file.

I tried the "Create a bootstrap action" option to tie the entities to new files, it failed with data mismatch error message.

I recreated the entity structures as columns in new worksheets in the primary data file ("Items.xlsx") and tried to link the entities to each worksheet. It failed at first, so I moved each sheet to first sheet position before bootstrapping. It seemed to work. But then I could not publish the package because of new data matching errors.

What is the simple way to link entities to data files???  

OrderManagement-Quickstart.oap

Sorry Bilal but that's not the case. In the tutotial you have the steps to create manually the remaining entities, as well as the screens. 

It also says for you to create the records, it doesn't assume that you already have the data there.

You just need to follow every step 

Hey @BILAL DADAR ,

What do you mean by "instructions to link the entities to a file "? Following the tutorial, you should have created the entities using the provided excel file. Do you mean that you want to bootstrap data after the entities are created?
With that data model it's not simple, since you have multiple foreign keys.

Regards 

Yes @Laura Fidalgo , you got that right. The tutorial comes with only one Excel file called Item.xlsx which contains only one worksheet with sample Items data. In the lesson, the Item entity is created automatically from the sample data spreadsheet while the other two entities, Order and OrderItem are created manually without any back end file link.

Hi!

So, if you don't have a file for the remaining entities, why do you want to bootstrap the data? If you have to create the entities manually, probably you're supposed to create data manually as well, by creating screens and logic to do that in the browser

The tutorial assumes that the entities are bootstrapped because it expects the newly added records to show up in the screen with their color codes. Only that they are not bootstrapped and therefore not showing up. 

Sorry Bilal but that's not the case. In the tutotial you have the steps to create manually the remaining entities, as well as the screens. 

It also says for you to create the records, it doesn't assume that you already have the data there.

You just need to follow every step 

Yes I followed all the steps in the tutorial. If there was a step that bootstraps the entities then I have not seen it.

There's not. You need to create the screens, the logic, and then create the data using the screens.

Cheers

Funny.

I will do it again.

My understanding was that bootstrapping is obligatory if one wants to persist data - and who does not? Apparently this tutorial did not. Case is closed now.
Community GuidelinesBe kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting.