Multiple email senders on one server

Multiple email senders on one server

Is it possible to have multiple email addresses sending emails on one server if a username and password are set in the email config in Service Center?

I have multiple applications that send emails, and in each application the email sender is different. In the email config, I have to have set a user with permissions to send emails, so if in the appliactions I designate the sender as anyone other than the sender specified in the email config, the emails won't send. I hope that makes sense ...

So how can I use an alternate email address to send certain emails?
Hi Britni,

I think that you are asking two different questions, at least from my perspective.

1- If you can setup multiple connection to the SMTP server using the service center. 
Answer: You can only setup one for all applications, but the platform doesn't relate with the content sent for each email with this information. It can happen that your SMTP server have some rule that avoid sending email with unauthorized content (eg. from
If you still have an extreme need to setup different users for each application (or session context), you can use the RichEmail extension to customize the connectivity to the SMTP server. But you should avoid this solution, mainly because you will lose traceability.

2- If you can setup different sender dependent on you bussiness rule, depending on the user or application
Answer: You can do it by handle Email addresses.
If an Email has no sender set in 'From' property, Agile Platform automatically sets it for you if one is configured in the Email Configuration in Service Center.

Paulo Garrudo
The first answer somewhat answers my question, but let me simplify it ...

In the email configuration, I have my username and password entered as the user with permissions to send emails. Because of this, I am unable to use any email address other than my email address as the sender of any email.

Most of the emails can be sent from my email address, but there are a few that must be sent by someone else. I put this person's email address in the From field on those emails only, but it won't send them because it's not his username and password entered.

Does that make sense?

I understand only being able to have one SMTP connection, but it seems strange that you have the option to enter a different sender for every email if it can't do that. I suppose I may need to look into the RichMail solution.

For the email configuration (service center) you can define the "Default Email address", but it can be replaced by your bussiness logic while setting the sender.

This problem can be related with some limitations inside the SMTP server that avoid sending email from different domains/accounts.

Are you getting an error when you try to send the email? Can you post it?

Paulo Garrudo
Here's the error:

Error sending email 1200: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 11:07:08 -0600
Message-ID: <>
To: <>
Subject: Purchase Order Confirmation
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----=_NextPart_:_25c5f092-96ba-4edd-802e-c2d0e9b193cf"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="----=_NextPart_:_d6b1247a-417d-44d1-b57c-2b1941ca6c27"

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_:_64358dc9-830f-4df2-bd59-23f088b5047f"

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

and the stack:

at #MFd.#LFd.#2Gd(String smtpserver, Int32 smtpserverport, #pxd authType, String username, String password, String mail, String from, String to, String cc, String bcc)
at #KFd.#PFd.#tzb()
at #KFd.#PFd.#Lkd()
at #KFd.#XFd.#Lkd(#Pdd job)
eSpaceVer: 0 (Id=0, PubId=0, CompiledWith=
RequestUrl: (Method: )
AppDomain: Scheduler.exe
Path: C:\...\PS\
DateFormat: yyyy-M-d
PID: 3124 ('Scheduler', Started='1/12/2012 5:02:14 PM', Priv=82Mb, Virt=607Mb)
TID: 13
Thread Name: Email Processor #2
.NET: 2.0.50727.5448
Hi Britni,

Your SMTP server doesn't allow you to send the email with that sender using that credentials.

Error: "Client does not have permissions to send as this sender"

Possible solutions:

1- Use an SMTP account that allow sending email with different senders;
2- Use the RichEmail extension to establish the connection to the SMTP server with several credentials depending on the sender. 

i already built several applications and I was always able to implement the first solution, but you can always go with the second.

Paulo Garrudo

I tried using RichMail and it worked fine for sending emails internally from any address, but I haven't figured out yet how to get it to work when sending to other domains. I used RichMailAuthenticate before the create and send actions with the username and password of the sender as a site property. Tips?
Are you getting the same error? Can you post it?
Maybe the problem is "only" permissions that you don't have inside the SMTP server.
Hi Paulo,

On the applications that you have created have you used Exchange server?
If the answer is yes, could you please post the setup?

I always used a SMTP server.