connectivity to Oracle database is not working

connectivity to Oracle database is not working

Hi all, 

I want to connect to an Oracle database which is located on a server (so I don't have an Oracle client installed on my machine). I found this tutorial for doing this:

But when I'm creating a new database connection in Service center I receive this error: Connection String test failed: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

I found something on this on your forum:, but this is reffering to the situation when you connect to a local database. In my situation, I don't have access to modify anything in the database side (the database is working fine if I'm trying to connect in other way). 

So what can I do to establish the connectivity? 

Hi Cristian,

You can connect to an external Oracle Database either by creating a Linked Server on your OutSystems Platform DB or by creating a BD connection as described in the first post you mention.
For the later and assuming you are running OutSystems Platform 6.x, you need to install Oracle Client Tools 11g R2 in you server.

As Tiago mentioned, make sure you have the Oracle Client Tools (11g R2) installed, and the privileges to the filesystem granted, as documented on the Platform Server 6.0 Install Checklist for the Oracle database. Even though you might be using SQL Server, to use the Oracle Database Connection, the requirements are the same as if were for Oracle Database installations.

Avoid using Linked Servers since it will cause more problems that it alctually solves, specially between SQL Server and Oracle installations.

Miguel Simões João
Hi guys, 

Thanks for your answers! The thing is that I don't have access to the Oracle database and no one will change anything in database side since it's used by a lot of people and softwares. So I understand there's nothing to do from my side to make this connectivity working .. 

Hi Cristian

You don't need access to the Oracle Database to change it. You need to install the Oracle Client Tools on the OutSystems server instead. You then, only need a runtime Oracle user access to setup the connection on Service Center.

Check the Platform Server 6.0 Install Checklist, and change the options to Front-End role and Oracle 11g database, and you'll have some steps regarding the installation of the Oracle Client Tools 11g on the Front-End that you need to take in order to have the Oracle Client Tools ready to be used by the Agile Platform.

Miguel Simões João
Hi Miguel, 

So I will need to install on my machine (this is the Outsystem server for me, right?) Oracle client Tools(11G R2)? .. I'm asking this because I'm using company's laptop and installing Oracle Client on it will not be the best thing to do (because of the Oracle License Agreement).

Hi again, 

Let me explain exactly what I want to do, because I don't really understand what I have to install for connecting to the Oracle database. So: 

I have OutSystems 6.0 (FULL version) installed on a laptop that runs on WIN XP. I want to connect to an external Oracle Database (located on a server). I don't have access to the Oracle database, I only want to connect to it for loading some data in my Outsystem application.

1. I saw in  
Platform Server 6.0 Install Checklist that you can select only Windows Server as operating system. Can I do the connection to database if I have WIN XP installed on my machine? 

2. you've said in a previous post that I need to install Oracle client on the Outsystem server. Can you be more specific? .. is Outsystem server my laptop and I should install Oracle client on it?  If not, please let me know how should I do this. 

Thank you, 

Hi Cristian

Let me try to clarify my statements.

If you have the Agile Platform Community installed on your laptop, and the Oracle database is a remote server, you need to do the following:

1. Install Oracle 11g Database Client Runtime (Client tools and patch - refer to Oracle Bug 9648040). Ensure you install a version compatible with your laptop operating system.You can download it from:
  2. Configure the Oracle services file <oracle_home>\network\admin\tnsnames.ora to connect to the Oracle remote server. You may need to ask the correct settings from the DBAs that manage that Oracle Server, to configure the file.
  3. Configure your ORACLE_HOME and PATH environment variables, by right clicking in My Computer and selecting Properties. Go to Advanced, click on Environment Variables and in the System Variables box click the New button. Add ORACLE_HOME with the value of the Oracle Client installation directory (eg.: C:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\client_1). Check the beginning of the PATH variable to see if it contains the path to the Oracle Client Binaries directory (eg: C:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\client_1\BIN). If not, place it at the beginning, and separate from the next entry with a semi-colon.
  4. Reset permissions for Authenticated Users in the Oracle client installation path by using Windows Explorer, locate the folder where you installed Oracle Client Tools (default is c:\app). Right-click the folder and select Properties. In the Security tab click on Authenticated Users item in the Name list, then:
    • Uncheck the Read and Execute box in the Permissions list under the Allow column
    • Re-check the same box again. 
    • Still in the Security tab, click the Advanced button. 
    • Check the box entitled Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects; 
    • In the Permission Entries list make sure that you see the Authenticated Users entry listed there with: Permission = Read & Execute and Apply To = This folder, subfolders and files. 
    • If the above two items are not as indicated, edit that line and make sure the Apply to drop-down box is set to This folder, subfolders and files. 
    • Click the Ok button until you close out all of the security properties windows and then reboot your computer to ensure that these changes have taken effect. 
  5. Then reboot the computer

This information is also available on the Platform Server 6.0 Install Checklist, if you select any server role with Front-End, and the Oracle database, regardless of the operating system.

Miguel Simões João