NextStep BoF session: BYOD and Mobility Challenges

NextStep BoF session: BYOD and Mobility Challenges

BYOD and Mobility Challenges

Where: NextStep 2012, Lisbon

When: May 10, 10:00 - 10:45

Abstract: Mobile is one of the big trends of the year, and it brings a whole new set of challenges to IT. From Bring Your Own Device issues, to the question "where should I start?", this BoF session is all about discussing the whys, whats, and hows of going mobile.

Be there, or be square!
This was a great BoF session!

Thank you very much to all that showed up and took part on this very constructive discussion. For those that couldn't make it, here are the highlights of what we discussed:

The first topic that we tackled was around supporting offline. This is an issue in situations where people need to go to areas without coverage, or in countries where the coverage is not that good. In the end, we concluded that it's really a matter of how much are you willing to invest in going offline, particularly considering that coverage is expected to improve in most locations - maybe a workaround is acceptable until then?

Next we talked about security. One of the problems of BYOD is the fact that employees carry their phones everywhere... and they do lose them quite often. It's interesting how this issue conflicts with the offline concern, since you really don't want to move all your data to the employee's device. In the end we talked about some strategies to secure your mobile web app without becoming too much of a nuisance to your users.

We then discussed the impact of 4G. There was some concern that with the rising demand for bandwidth, the end result of 4G will be actually slower mobile internet access. But overall the feeling was optimistic, and there's the believe that 4G speeds will improve to match user's expectations and increasing demands regarding connectivity and speed.

The last highlight on this morning session was around the big mobile players - Apple, Google and Microsoft. In particular, we discussed the shift in terms of office and email tools people are using, as SaaS options become ever more attractive.

Where you at this BoF? Did I miss anything important that was discussed during that morning? And if you couldn't be there, what would you have liked to discuss?
Great to hear it was that good Rodrigo.
I really wanted to be there, just couldn't make it in time.

To everyone who joined, congrats, excelent topics.
Excellent topics indeed.

The one topic i would have come up with is, how to convince customers to use a web-app as mobile solution instead of an mobile-app.
Joost Landgraf wrote:
Excellent topics indeed.

The one topic i would have come up with is, how to convince customers to use a web-app as mobile solution instead of an mobile-app.

That's a great topic! In fact, it's something we talk about quite often at OutSystems. I know it's not the same as a live conversation, but a while ago we recorded a webinar that addresses this topic. You can watch it at http://www.outsystems.com/company/events/web/mobile-strategy-webinar/ The "juicy" part starts around minute 10, where I describe the advantages of mobile web.

Hope it helps!