Using the Edit Record widget to validate inputs

Using the Edit Record widget to validate inputs

Hello Everybody,
This is a related post to a recent issue I posted.  Can you utilize the Edit Record widget to validate inputs that are not associated with a particular table or particular record.  I just want to validate the inputs using my own business logic and take advantage of the Edit Record's custom red highlighting error and error message.  Can someone show me a simple example on how to use the Edit Record widget to validate a simple input of any kind???
Thanks in advance.
Frank

Hi Frank!
Answering to your question: yes you can! Indeed it is really simple.
Take a look at the attached sample.
Hope it helps you.

Regards,
João

Frank wrote:
Hello Everybody,
This is a related post to a recent issue I posted.  Can you utilize the Edit Record widget to validate inputs that are not associated with a particular table or particular record.  I just want to validate the inputs using my own business logic and take advantage of the Edit Record's custom red highlighting error and error message.  Can someone show me a simple example on how to use the Edit Record widget to validate a simple input of any kind???
Thanks in advance.
Frank

Oh no!!!  Joao, thanks for sending an example, but I was not able to open the e-space.  It was in version 6.0.1.16 and I am still in 6.0.0.9.  Is there a way around this without requiring me to upgrade?
Frank
Frank wrote:
Oh no!!!  Joao, thanks for sending an example, but I was not able to open the e-space.  It was in version 6.0.1.16 and I am still in 6.0.0.9.  Is there a way around this without requiring me to upgrade?
Frank

Here is the example in version 5.1.x.x, as I don't have the server that supports that version I did not publish the eSpace, so I can not assure that you will be able to do it, but try to copy the logic to your own eSpace and see what happens.
Note: 
  • don´t forget to type the name of the text boxes,
  • don't forget to set the text boxes mandatory with 'true'
  • the 'parent editrecord' of all the text boxes has to be the edit record that you are using 
  • the button's validation has to be client and server
I guess that's it :)
João