Showing totals at the bottom of a record list

Showing totals at the bottom of a record list

Does anyone know how to total up and display totals below a page of records shown in a record list?
I wrote an article about just this a few months ago. :)

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/programming-and-development/making-a-total-row-in-agile-platform/5327

J.Ja
Justin, can't you publish those on the new part of this forum :-)
Joop -

I probably could/should, now that you mention it. I used to post links here to ensure that they showed up in the forum search. Maybe I'll talk to Miguel M. about having them do something with the content?

J.Ja
Justin James wrote:
I wrote an article about just this a few months ago. :)

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/programming-and-development/making-a-total-row-in-agile-platform/5327

J.Ja

Thanks Justin. How do you handle paging?
Gerry wrote:

Thanks Justin. How do you handle paging?

Gerry -

Good question! In that situation you may need to do something a bit differently, like trying to directly add the new row to the table's list instead of what the table pulls from. Alternatively, you can use the page information (current page number, page size) + List_Insert to inject the total row into the data at the right spot, but you really need to track that carefully and take it out before doing it again on the next page. Or, when you do the iterations to make the total row, insert the total rows at the right spots. For example, if the page size if 50 records, after every 49 records (and at the end of the list) you insert a total row for the previous 49 records.

J.Ja
Hi,

I kinda tried to do something like that in the Users application some time ago.

It had that pattern of adding the line at the end of the table to support a "add new" behavior.
Then we decided to add pagination to it ..and it was just too complicated, since we also wanted to allow Ajax Insert/Delete operations in the table.

Ended up placing it outside of the table with the correct sizes.

Justin James solution is nice when there is no pagination. With pagination/ajax operation it gets very tricky.

Regards,
João Rosado