External Database - Which uses less SUs, extension or webservice?

External Database - Which uses less SUs, extension or webservice?

Hi,

I need to acess an external database where I have to read, write, update and delete from it.
I have a limitation in the available SUs so I'm wondering how could do this spending less amount of SUs:
a) using an extension to import the entities
or
b) building webservices in visual studio, deploy on IIS and using them in the agile platform.

Best regards,
Nuno
Hello Jorge,

In my opinion, if you have the chance to access the database, you should use the extension..
You have some good reasons to do it..
You get a best performance since you are accessing it "directly", the CRUDs are given by the platform and in terms of maintainance is much better..for example, if you change something in an Entity you just have to update the extension instead of having to change your WebService code and all the references..
Hope this helps..

Best Regards,
Gonçalo M.
If depends on me only, I will  use the extension but in this case the available number of SUs will be essential for the choice.

Thanks for answer, Gonçalo.
I agree with Goncalo.

Besides a webservice will produce structures you can use inside the platform which will costs an even amount of SU's
(referential entity /structure costs 30 + 5 times #Attributes)

If you get over the #SU's by a minor amount there are other ways to minimize your SU's

Last thing, SU's are important, but maintenance costs versus license costs also.

Hi Nuno,

Search for "software units 7.0" in the OutSystems Community, you should be able to download a document with the SU usage (Downloads section). Look, for example, for 'Referenced Entity Attribute', and 'Web Reference Method'.

But in the end, I don't think you'll get a significant save on SUs on any of the options. As Gonçalo stated, importing the entities via Integration Studio is probably the best solution.

Cheers,
Paulo
Joost Landgraf wrote:

Last thing, SU's are important, but maintenance costs versus license costs also.

Exactly Joost..
The costs with maintenance are essencial and if we measure the implementation of external WebServices and possible changes versus the extension, in terms of SU's you won't have a substantial difference to make you choose the more complicated and longer to implement..

Cheers,
Gonçalo M.
I guess using webservices will be more costly than using the extension.

Using the extension it's almost like working with native Outsystems Platform entities and also because, using webservices, each new webmethod i need (and i think it will be new one for each new query i need to use) is more SU that i willl consume.

Advanced Query use less SU than a webmethod.
You really should steer away from programming with minimizing SU's in mind. If you're doing that you're taking the least possible advantage from the Agile Platform...
Ricardo Silva wrote:
You really should steer away from programming with minimizing SU's in mind. If you're doing that you're taking the least possible advantage from the Agile Platform...

Offtopic:  I would like to agree with you, but with the current license fees I am a bit hesistant :)
It's not my choice to use or not to use webservices but i'm trying to show the benefits of using the extension instead of the webservice. And the choice will consider the SU usage.