Agile Platform Ajax broken by recent Chrome update

Permalink: http://www.outsystems.com/goto/chrome24

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know that Chrome is rolling out an update (version 24 or higher) which will break some Agile Platform functionality in older revisions. This has to do with a Chrome API which we use in previous revisions and was recently deprecated. This means that Agile Platform Ajax will be broken for users of a recent Chrome release.

This issue was detected in the Chrome Dev channel releases. Recent Agile Platform releases already have a fix for this, namely:
  • Platform Server 5.1.1.35+
  • Platform Server 6.0.1.24+
  • Platform Server 7.0.0.18+
The problem is known to not affect 5.0 releases.

We advise all of our customers with users using Chrome to upgrade to the latest revision of the Platform Server component in their major version *as soon as possible*.

Another option is to advise them to use a different browser.

If you have further questions about this matter, feel free to reply to this post.

Best regards,

Ricardo Silva
Are we supposed to upgrade Platform Server, or Service Studip to 7.0.0.18+? Or both? Because one is a quick and easy task, the other is a much bigger undertaking.

J.Ja
Hello Justin,

The Agile Platform component that needs to be upgraded is the Platform Server. All steps on the checklist should be followed, most importantly the "Publish All your eSpaces" step which is often disregarded.

I would like to add that this change does not affect in any way the manner in which you program in the Agile Platform.

Ricardo Silva
Ricardo Silva wrote:
Just to let you know that Chrome is rolling out an update which will break some Agile Platform functionality in older revisions. This has to do with a Chrome API which we use in previous revisions and was recently deprecated. This means that Agile Platform Ajax will be broken for users of a recent Chrome release.

This issue was detected in the Chrome Dev channel releases. Recent Agile Platform releases already have a fix for this, namely  5.1.1.35+, 6.0.1.24+ and  7.0.0.18+. The problem is known to not affect 5.0 releases.

Hello Ricardo,

Just for curiosity, can you explain better what the technical problem that broke the Platform AJAX and how you solved it?
Once again thank for your posts with tips and resolutions.

Best Regards,
Gonçalo Martis
Gonçalo,

I'm not aware of the full technical details, but basically we were using some objects in Chrome which were deprecated and removed in more recent versions. We solved it by using other APIs for the same effect.

Ricardo Silva
Ricardo Silva wrote:
Gonçalo,

I'm not aware of the full technical details, but basically we were using some objects in Chrome which were deprecated and removed in more recent versions. We solved it by using other APIs for the same effect.

Ricardo Silva

No problem Ricardo..
It was really just a tek curiosity..
Anyway thank you for sharing the information you got ;)

Cheers,
Gonçalo Martins

Hi Ricardo,

You mention the Platform versions for which there is a fix, but it would be also helpful to known which Chrome update causes this issue, i.e. version number.

It can be necessary to know this information to check against possible errors report by the users.

Thank you,
Nuno Bispo
Nuno Bispo wrote:
Hi Ricardo,

You mention the Platform versions for which there is a fix, but it would be also helpful to known which Chrome update causes this issue, i.e. version number.

It can be necessary to know this information to check against possible errors report by the users.

Thank you,
Nuno Bispo

Hi Nuno

The Google Chrome 24 update (and above) will break the Ajax on the Agile Platform. I'll update the original post.

Thanks

Cheers

Miguel Simões João
bump, because this seems to be becoming a lot more frequent.
Is there a roll-back scenario in case upgrade fails ??
Hello,

This problem also exists in IE9. I have the version: 9.0.8112.16421 and the same problem occurs.
As workarround I installed FF18 (Ajax works were) but if I use the debugger the execution don't stop in the breakpoint I have.

regards,
Idálio Véstias
I would like do add some information:

I had this issue today, and it was a MAJOR problem, because the website was still responsive, meaning, if the user "spams" enter it can create duplicates, because it drops ALL the validations, including confirmation msg's in the buttons.

My application was "stuck" waiting for Ajax to refresh, and, i pressed the "Tab" key in the keyboard and it unlocked the process and forwarded me to the "root" of my aplication. (I can confirm this on 5 diferent machines, all using chrome)

This was driving me CRAZY!!! :)

I am using: 5.1.0.23
Hi guys,

To clarify:

The issue reported here does not, in any way whatsoever, affect any other browser than Chrome (versions 24 and higher). So the problem that Idálio is having with IE 9 is completely unrelated.

Our recommendation to fix this issue is to update the Agile Platform to a more recent revision in your version which already supports the new Chrome Ajax API.

Regarding roll-back procedures, Joop, you should already have been answered in the support case you opened, but here are the general guidelines for such a procedure:
  1. backup the database
  2. backup machine.config, web.config, server.hsconf and Agile Platform .config files
  3. perform the update
Should you need to roll-back:
  1. uninstall the Agile Platform
  2. rollback the database backup
  3. install the previously installed Agile Platform revision
  4. don't forget to republish all eSpaces.
If you have further questions regarding this matter, feel free to post replies on this thread.

Best regards,
Ricardo Silva
Hi,
Just to make sure...when applying this patch, in the Configuration Tool, the Configure Session Database step can by skipped?
Thanks.

Best Regards,
Hugo
Hugo Jesus wrote:
Hi,
Just to make sure...when applying this patch, in the Configuration Tool, the Configure Session Database step can by skipped?
Thanks.

Best Regards,
Hugo

Hello Hugo,

that step is mandatory and necessary to ensure the consistency of the upgrade so you should always do it. If have a pressing need to keep your session database please contact the Support Team and we will investigate the matter.

Regards,
João.