How to run an action asynchronously ( fire and forget )?

How to run an action asynchronously ( fire and forget )?

I have an Entity with several records.
I have an action that processes these records one by one.
This may take several hours.
I want a "launch" button on a web screen that the user can click and fire off this action and immediately return a message to the user "launched" and allow the user to continue working on the web screen and not have to wait for the launched action to complete. (My action sets and clears a flag in an Entity so the user(s) cannot perform multiple "launches".)
Hi Jeff, 

There is something in your message that alert anyone "This may take several hours." This means you have to build the right processes in order to this never fail.

The fastest option is to wake a timer on the button, but remeber to create the right logic so the timer or any action fails in the time out.

The best option is to use BTP in order to process those records correctly and keep updated on the state of each process.

Cheers, 
Ricardo

Ah!  This sounds good.
I had looked at Timers, but couldn't figure out how to fire one off.
This is very helpful.
So do I leave the Schedule blank in my timer since I only want it to run upon a button click?

What is BTP?

Jeff Neuhaus wrote:

Ah!  This sounds good.
I had looked at Timers, but couldn't figure out how to fire one off.
This is very helpful.
So do I leave the Schedule blank in my timer since I only want it to run upon a button click?

What is BTP?

Hi Jeftt.

Spend 15m with this video and you'll have a great introduction to the BPT technology.

Cheers
Pedro